xvii

╔.𖥸. .════════════════╗

𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗬

chapter seventeenyou're acting like the people that we hated, you're hanging with the worst and I hate it

chapter seventeen
you're acting like the people
that we hated, you're hanging
with the worst and I hate it

╚════════════════. .❀.╝

HEARING THAT MIGUEL had woken up from his coma was the best news Alyssa had received in a while.

She was actually one of the first ones to see him — well, besides his mom and his grandmother — because her mom had called her to tell her the news, and Alyssa had literally ran out of the house in her pajamas and slippers and drove faster than she ever had in her life. She had practically collapsed onto him as gently as she could so she wouldn't hurt him anymore than he already was.

(There were a lot of tears involved.)

Miguel was bedridden, due to the fall injuring his back severely and causing him to not be able to walk. It broke Alyssa's heart to see him like that, unable to move when all he wanted to do was fight. Karate was his passion, and it had gotten him injured.

Sam had asked Alyssa to go to visit Miguel with her. Alyssa agreed — well, she had been seeing Miguel literally every day since he woke up. She could also tell that Sam wasn't exactly ready to see Miguel by herself after everything that had happened.

The two walked into the hospital together, Alyssa holding a container of food and Sam holding a card. Alyssa immediately led them to Miguel's room, the way to it practically engraved in her brain at this point. She didn't see her mom at all, but she did smile at some nurses who she recognized. Finally, they stopped by Miguel's room to see him sitting up straight in his bed, a nurse just leaving his room.

"Hey," Sam greeted.

Miguel looked over at her, his features brightening. "Hey."

Alyssa then appeared behind Sam. "'Sup."

Miguel lost a little bit of the glimmer in his eyes when he looked at her. "Hi, Als."

"Okay, you don't have to look so disappointed that I'm here, too. Damn."

"I'm never disappointed to see you," Miguel reassured her. He then noticed what she was holding. "What's that?"

Alyssa held up the container. "Oh, my mom made you some chicken and dumplings. She said that you shouldn't be eating hospital food because considering she works here she knows how bad it is, and she's kind of well known for this, so here you go."

Miguel grinned at the container as Alyssa set it down on his table. "She's been telling me that she's been meaning to bring me some."

"You'll love it, trust me," Sam told him. She then paused for a second. "I hope it's okay, me just showing up like this. How are you? I — I mean, sorry, I . . . it's a stupid question."