Chapter 58

Asher

I want my seat back beside Harper, but I could never ask Ezra to give up his. Instead, I move to the back and only offer a smile and nod as we pass them. I'm in the last few rows with Jess and all her friends that didn't seem to notice I was lost in a foreign country for almost a week. I would laugh if I wasn't so tired. My friends stayed home to go on a separate trip to mark the end of our senior year and I chose to vacation with my girlfriend. Last night we went on our date, then I stayed out at the beach to watch the sunset by myself. I don't know why, but this vacation has made me feel years older and wiser. I did a lot of growing up getting lost.

When I returned to my room that I should have been sharing with Harper, she wasn't there. Part of me was really hoping she would have chosen us. I can't blame her. I guess this week was a summer fling and real life is waiting on the other side of that airplane door. I can't compete with a guy she's been crushing on for years.

The time with Harper was a gift. I had the best trip I've ever had, and in addition, she took away the ache I had for losing Jess. I know that might sound terrible, but what I mean is she showed me that I can love someone else. I can build a history with another person. Inside jokes, memorizing mannerisms, looking forward to hearing her laugh, or even loving the way her tone changes when she's hungry and tired. Harper taught me that life goes on in the most amazing way.

As we begin to deboard, I watch her from a distance, struggle to move with her injury. I wait, not wanting to jump up to her rescue if she doesn't want my help. Jess takes off with some friends, but I've intentionally lingered back to make sure no one tramples Harper and Ezra as they make their way down the aisle and up the ramp. When she stops for the third time just outside the door, I hold my arms open to her.

"For old time's sake?" I ask.

Ezra is sweating from his attempt to keep her upright and he looks at me with relief. Just as quickly, he looks to her for approval before he is willing to let go. She nods.

"Thank you," she says sweetly.

Ezra takes my bag, adding it to his and hers. We are a crazy looking group now, heading up the rickety ramp into the main terminal. I want to keep walking with her. I want to head out the main doors and put her into my car so we can go somewhere and talk. Maybe I could convince her that our vacation didn't have to end. We could get lost here too.

"My brother is outside," Ezra says. He's looking at his phone as we make our way down the crowded walkway. "He said he's going to make another lap since he can't say parked long."

I feel Harper's arms squeeze tighter around my neck. Maybe she's slipping. I pull her up closer against me. Her eyes meet mine. We don't say anything. We can't. We have an audience, and a night apart between us.

We don't say anything as we leave the gates and pass the food and shops. Travelers are moving all around us, parting as we head to the large glass doors that seem to have bookended this trip. We entered them days ago as two high school graduates and we will leave them the same—but a little wise from our big adventure. I can feel my smile grow as I realize wouldn't change a thing.

My happiness is short lived. The doors slide open. The cars are honking and the busses are ignoring common courtesy to take their places at the curb and stay on schedule. We are back to reality and once again my time with Harper is running through my fingers like sand from a broken hour glass. Each car that pulls up close to us makes my chest feel tighter. Is this the one that's taking her from me?

Finally, I see him. Finn is making his way along the curb. I see the moment he registers that she's hurt. He throws the car in park and jumps out to come to her rescue. I want to hate him for that, but I know exactly how he feels. Seeing her hurt is disarming—you want to make it better immediately. Harper is the type of girl that doesn't deserve anything bad to happen to her.

I realize that the end of this trip is going to be so much worse than I imagined. I'm not going to get to set Harper into a car and say goodbye. There will not be one last kiss to her forehead like when I carried her from the bus. No, I'm going to have to give her to Finn—literally. He's coming at us like a crazy man. The door to his car still wide open as the cars honk in frustration trying to get by him in the tight space.

"Harper—" he says.

Her arms around my neck release and I can feel her let go. I have no choice.

I put her into his arms as Ezra opens the back door. It all happens so fast, but in my head and heart it feels like slow motion. She never even looks back. The door is shut and they pull away.

Suddenly, it's just me, my bag, a tiny apple in my pocket, and the memories of a week getting lost but finding so much.

I don't even have a ride home.