Chapter 33

Harper

I slip my dress off but leave on the bikini. The shower will barely fit both of us, but once the hot water hits my skin I can't think of anything but how good it feels to rinse off the sweat and dirt of the last two days. The water runs over my face as I tip my chin down and relish in the heat as it wets my hair and flows over my sun-kissed body. My shoulders are a bit tender where the afternoon rays have burned them slightly, but overall we've somehow managed to avoid being burnt.

His hand on my hip is gentle, a soft reminder that he's here with me. "Sorry," I say. I've been hogging the water and I'm sure he'd love to rinse off as well. When I turn, my eyes meet his bare chest, tan from our time in the pool and I slowly force myself to look him in the eyes.

"It's ok. Just wanted to make sure you were still breathing," he teases. Maybe I had my head beneath the water flow a bit too long, but I feel my cheeks flush as I wonder if he's also referring to the way my lungs have seemed to seize up from the sight of him so close to me now.

"Here," I manage to say as I take a small step to the side. My hands slip through my hair, squeezing out some of the water and then twisting it over my shoulder as I make room for him to get past. He steadies me on my slippery feet with both firm palms on my hips as we carefully begin to shift our positions. I can smell the mint of his toothpaste as he breathes above me, his eyes not leaving mine as our bodies connect in the small space. The water still makes its way between us, running from his skin to mine and back again as our feet move in time together like a couple sharing a first dance. It's slightly awkward, but overwhelmingly thrilling.

"I'll hurry," he whispers when his body is finally submerged beneath the stream of steaming water. When his hands leave my hips, I feel untethered. I miss them. Shaking off the thought, I reach for my small bar of soap and rub it between my palms, closing my eyes and breathing in the sweet scent. The bubbles are thick and creamy, and it feels like the soap at my favorite spa back home.

For a moment I forget where I am. I run it along each leg, so grateful I opted to spoil myself at the spa before this trip with a wax as the soap helps return my smooth skin to its previous nondirty tan appearance. What a difference a little bit of suds can make. My fingers dance along my belly and then around my top, tucking beneath the edges before sliding up to my neck. It feels so refreshing and decadent I let my eyes close and my head tip back, imagining the feel of the fluffy robe and the taste of the chilled lemonade they served after my treatment at the spa. Once I'm lathered, I open my eyes in search of the water and find Asher staring at me.

The water beats down on his shoulders and runs in rivulets along his chest. But even though the temperature is enough to cause steam to raise from his dewy skin, it's nothing compared to the heat I see in his eyes.

"Do you need any help?" he asks. The chuckle that follows is rich and makes his shoulders shake. He runs a hand down his face. "Your turn." He motions to the water.

"Thanks," I say. Holding my soapy hands up, I attempt to get past him, my foot slipping slightly. Asher steadies me, his fingers gripping my hips and tugging me to him. My mother might call me clumsy, but I would argue sometimes it pays off.

"I've got you." He guides me past him, watching as the suds begin to wash away, leaving my skin moist and glowing in their absence.

Now it's my turn to watch as Asher reaches for his soap and turns to me with a smile.

***Hope you are enjoying the story so far. Please remember to comment and vote for each chapter. It really helps other readers find my work.  Thanks for reading!!***