Altered Promise AU Continuation 💔🖤💔

Waking up in the human world without Ray, they started to search for him.
.
The AU where Ray managed to reforge Emma's promise with The One after realizing Emma's lying to them about the reward she had to sacrifice for the Promise.
.
.
。:゚:。。:゚゚:。。:゚゚:。。:゚゚:。。:゚゚:。。:゚゚:。。:゚:。

" Emma... Norman... Everyone... I'm sorry. "

Ray's soft toned voice echoed in their head. Norman huffed finally finished with his paperwork. He pushed the finished stack aside before placing his head on the desk. He was tired and the fatigue of overworking had finally caught up to him. He closed his eyes and let the darkness lulled him to sleep.

" Norman. "  Norman looked over to the side to face the familiar voice. The tone of indifference that The family painfully craved to hear again. It was Ray in his old white colored clothes everyone wore in the orphanage. He was holding a book on his shoulder while looking at Norman.

" Mama has a clock that doesn't work anymore in the attic. Do you want to take it apart with me? " He asked. To be honest This was one of Norman's favorite time. Whenever he could do with Ray was one of the things he treasure just as much as when spending time with Emma.

It was more special because Ray himself looks for him. And That itself is a rare gesture coming from their resident emo.

They took it apart and it fascinates Norman how each part has it's uses despite their size. He says something and Ray looks over to him.

He doesn't remember what he said but the way Ray's eyes shook made him shut his mouth.

" I also... Taking it apart and trying to put it back... It's interesting like that. Each part has it's purpose and even if one thing gets lost, it can be replaced with a different one. But it won't work the same anymore. It'll be forever broken. "

Norman's heart ache yet he didn't ask why Ray's eyes saddened and why he spoke those words as if it has a hidden meaning he doesn't know of. He learns in the future Ray was already thinking of taking himself out of the escape plan.

" Look. " Emma whispered pointing at Ray from under the tree. Norman followed Emma's attention and saw it. Ray reading under the tree by himself rather than playing with everyone.
" Back then. He used to play with us. " Emma pointed out. " But now all he does is reading books. " She complained.

He says something and the two headed to Ray. Emma and he sat on the empty spaces besides Ray.

" Norman. Emma. " Ray stated never looking away from his book. It was about mechanics again. " Shouldn't you be playing with the others? "

Emma frowned. " We should be saying the same to you! "

Ray's eyes narrowed only to keep his attention on the book. " I like reading a lot. " He lies. Norman and Emma knows of it. The way his eyes lost focus once in a while just to look out to see everyone in front of him having fun. The way he clenches the book and bites his lower lip whenever he's frustrated at understanding the information it's providing. It wasn't something you'd do when you like something but they didn't ask.

" Then we'll stay here instead! " Emma proposes before leaning her head on Ray's shoulder. Embarrassed, Norman did the same and Ray didn't stop them.

" You guys... you two shouldn't really be around me... " He hears Ray mutters thinking they're asleep. Norman pretends not to hear before nuzzling closer to Ray's warmth. He ignores the hurt he felt at Ray's words since he doesn't know anything that time.

" You're really a genius, aren't you Norman? " Norman looked behind him to see Ray with an expression of amazement. The sudden recognition made Norman's heart warm and energetic.