Chapter 37 - The First Of Many

I unravel from the curled up position I forced myself into, an ear piercing ring screaming through the air. I open my eyes, realising it's a miracle that's actually possible. Wasn't I just shot? Confused, I feel all over my body in a frantic panic, to which I end up finding the most relieving thing of all. Nothing. No bullet wound, no blood trickling down my torso, or legs, or anywhere else. But.. How? I shift to try and get up, something knocking into me as if it's fallen over. At first I assume it's a cabinet or a locker, but surely I'd be in more pain than I actually am. Also the sudden groan, plus the sound of panting confuses me further, as if an animal has slipped in to say hello. I instantly think Hina, the panting gradually decreases until it's slow and shaky breathing. Truly puzzled now and in a stressed state, I attempt to gather myself, the feel of something fluffy tickling my burning forehead. Hair? I jump for some reason, moving the object on top of me to finally reveal something truly horrifying. Mortifying. Shocking if you will. A person...
I let them fall into my lap, a motherly nature washing over me as I flip said individual over, cynical violet eyes staring up at me. "W- hey hey!" I shout, moving the infamous pompadour hair out of his face. "Y- Y/N?" he grunts letting out a wince of pain. I've expected a lot of things today, but I never expected to have someone's injured body laying across my lap. Especially Akkun's... "Akkun? Akkun?! Hey hey what happened? How'd you get here??" I frantically question shaking him to keep him awake. It seems to work, although I notice the strangeness of his multiple blinks as if he's trying his hardest to stay awake. "I- I don't... Remember to be honest..." he states, his voice completely different. Lower, raspy, quiet. A-are we safe?" he asks me, looking, driving me to look around to see Sanzu has disappeared from view completely, the other lackeys laying out across the door. Despite this, it's the least of my problems right now. Someone else will deal with him. "I- I guess you could say that" I say. "Hey let's get you up okay? You're gonna be fine" I assure him, gently supporting his body with both arms as he tries to get up. There's a lot of grunting and flinching as if he's in immense pain, to which it hits me the situation may be worse than I originally imagined. Halfway into setting him upright, he splutters a red liquid that can only be blood, stumbling a little as they lay back down. "I think... I think I might need a s- second to recover okay...?" he asks, slowly exhaling as more blood trickles down his mouth. I feel his cold face, shaking him a little in an attempt to keep him focused on me and my words. I take a quick glance over at Hina, who stares down in shock and what seems like absolute mental agony. I decide to face my fears, shifting downwards and lifting up his uniform jacket to reveal a huge pool of blood spilling down his stomach. A gash lies where the abdominal area is, a sort of hole spilling excessive amounts of blood. This must have been where the bullet hit. To think that could have been me, and this could all be over in an instant... I slip my jacket off, applying pressure to his wound as tears form in my eyes. "Y/N...?" he says all of a sudden, his voice so dim it's almost a whisper. "Yeah?" I query, moving closer to him. "Do you think... You c-could tell Tatsuo... I went for a heroic reason...?". "No don't say that you're not going to die here. We're gonna get you some help and you can tell him you saved my life in the hospital okay?". My words spill out all at once as the tears from before drip down onto his torso, blinding me almost. Another cough slithers out from his mouth, almost sounding like a choke. I move away from his wound for a second, sitting him up in my lap so he doesn't choke any more, his lips covered in his own blood. The scene is very gruesome, making me dizzy as fears continously overcome. His eyes flicker once more as he tilts his head extremely slowly so he's looking up at me. "T- Thank you..." he squeaks. "No no thank you! You saved my life Akkun, and I promise you we're going to get you out of here so you can be the hero amongst everyone". I don't know what I'm saying really. I think we both know what I'm saying is nothing but a fantasy. My own hopes to try and convince him it's okay. "Y- You know... I didn't want to be k-known as a coward a-anymore...". "You're not a coward you never were Akkun. Now please try and save your breath, you're not helping yourself-". He sighs through the immense amounts of pain he's going through. "I- I used to be someone who r-ran away a lot. We all were... B- But now I feel like once again I- I've done something to prove I'm no longer a c- coward". His words trail off as he manages to cough again, trails of blood spilling out from under his jacket. Clearly my own jacket isn't helping at all... "You're a hero Akkun" I add, cradling him in my arms as a faint smile appears. I smile as well, more tears washing down as I break down while his head falls back to look up at the darkness that is the roof of the class. "A- Akkun?" I cry, shaking his body. I hear Hina crying in the background as well, although my hearing and vision are both a little delirious right now. "Akkun? Hey come on man say something...". My words trail off like his did a moment ago, waterworks raining down across my face. "A-Akkun!" I shout now, my voice breaking as I let his cold body closer to mine. "Please don't go..." I add, my own words sounding stupid. I can't really say that can? Of course Akkun is gone...