Chapter 56 - Sirens & Sunlight

Seeing such a sudden rush of sunlight throws my entire mind into a muddled frenzy. The urge to collapse, throw up or even give up entirely fades over me, as a fragile hand lifts itself to block out the sun's intensity. "You okay?" Hakkai ponders, looking down at me with a troubled synopsis. I scan his face for one second, frowning at the sudden scar that seems to have split across his face, pouring crimson liquid that thankfully doesn't seem like that much of a difficulty taking care of. I nod cc as my response, regaining focus as certain specks make themselves present to my weary eyes. I gradually make out what they're saying, the sound of doctors and nurses charging in our direction with precipitous determination, holding all sorts of tools for aid such as first aid kits and stethoscopes. It's clear they're expressing insane amounts of concern, it is their job after all. "Treat this man first, he's suffered a large laceration to his back" Wakasa urges, sending his friend forward who stumbles conscientiously into the arms of two women who appear tiny in comparison to Benkei's size. Gunning around I notice not a single soul has exited the building bia any other form of exit. Honestly it's surprising as to how many people have actually come to rescue us, but it's a good guess that a fire of such velocity has definitely spread across the news by now. I glance over past a thin tree line until I notice the flash of multiple substantial sirens blaring at a volume that irritates already stressed eardrums. In short time a man makes his way over to me, asking me questions such as "are you okay?" and "where are you hurt". I try my hardest to stay awake and cooperate, and his patience with me is something I'll admire infinitely. "Is this everyone?" another woman questions, inspecting the building from afar as rubble and remains continue to detach themselves from an already decaying establishment. "Yes, my boyfriend and his brother are still in there, they got caught up" I respond instantaneously, pointing out the 'exact room' where we left them amongst the top floors. "You have to help them"... As soon as such points are conveyed it's obvious the ambulance team are concerned, attempting to make out a safe way inside let alone make it to the highest point. "The firemen are on their way, so we'll get them out of there as soon as possible, I promise" the man reassures, before bidding goodbye and moving on to treat a different party member in the meantime. I take time to check back in on Senju specifically, who's crouching by the ground beside Wakasa, who stays for support amidst trying to locate life forms from any window or open slot in the wall. "Do you think they're okay?" Hina asks, shedding a tear of surprising happiness as she begins to realise we've managed to escape such an unpleasant purgatory with our lives somewhat still intact. Although for me more than anyone, I still feel like something major in my life is mislaid. Despite being out, I can't cry with joy or smile at the situation when Tatsuo is still inside in more danger than any of us could've ever been in. All I can do is be here for my friends for now, and hold out maximised anticipation until I see my boyfriend walking, running or even crawling out of the gates of hell that we never should have infiltrated in the first place. If there's one thing I've learnt from all this, it's that I long for such an implausible ability that could allow me to go back and prevent all this from even manifesting in the first place. Maybe even save the ones many of us lost...

~Short but sweet chapter as we cascade towards the final few chapters (4) in this book~