Chapter 3: Sun walker

...

[Wait...didn't giyuu-san say that I would die in the sun?]
Tanjiro questioned

He stands there for a moment before pushing the thought out of his head and continuing. He sees a bush with strawberries on it and goes to it. He picks some and carries as much as he can back to the cave where giyuu was. He enters the cave walking over to the older male and sits next to him with all the berries still in his arms. Tanjiro shakes the other trying to wake him up.

"Giyuu, wake up"
Tanjiro spoke gently

Giyuu wakes up and yawns, he rubes his eyes and opens them fully to see tanjiro leaning over him. He sits up and notices the fruit in his arms.

"Where'd you get those from?"

"Outside, there was a strawberry bush nearby so I got some for you. I thought you'd be hungry"
Tanjiro response with

Giyuu is taken aback by what tanjiro had said and glances outside to see that it was the middle of the day still. He fixates his attention on tanjiro with that dead calm look present.

"You went outside?"

"Mhm"

"How are you not dead? You should've died out there"

"Oh, I forgot about that...I don't have an answer to that. Are you hungry?"

"Yes."
Giyuu said

Tanjiro takes a strawberry and holds it up to his mouth, giyuu stares at it for a moment then bites into it. Tanjiro continues to feed him like this just like his mother used to when she was alive.

...

He seemed to have taken after his mother when it comes to others in need, though he might not show much emotion now because of what happened tanjiro still cares for people.

...

After giyuu finishes eating he stands up with tanjiro

"If you're telling the truth and you can walk in the sun then traveling will be much faster"
Giyuu explains

He walks out of the cave then looks back at tanjiro and motions him to follow after. Tanjiro walks out into the sun with no hesitation and walks up to giyuu confirming what he said.

"So you can walk in the sun..."

"Mhm, should we continue our journey?

"Yes"
Giyuu agrees

The two start walking again in silence but this time it's different...it's comforting. Tanjiro is again holding giyuus hand as they walk, the two talk to each other while they walk trying to get to know each other better.

...

10 minutes pass
...

"So what is the demon slayer corps?"

"It's an organization of people whos jobs are to slay demons, there are different ranks, the hashiras are the most powerful."

"Oh, you're a hashira right?"

"Yes"
Giyuu answered

Tanjiro looks forward after that trying to remember and process everything. He yawns, seemingly worn out by when he first went out into the sun. Giyuu notices and stops walking causing the other to stop as well.

"Are you tired"

"Mhm..."

"Get on my back, I'll carry you"

"But-"

"No"

"Fine..."
Tanjiro complains

Tanjiro jumps onto giyuus back, he starts walking down the dirt path they are on again.

...

It's been 2 days now...

Silence fills the night as giyuu and tanjiro walk. Side by side they head into a small village to get something to eat. Giyuu spots a noodle shop and stops which tanjiro follows in his foot steps.

"There's a noodle shop we can go to"

"Let's go then"
Tanjiro insisted

Giyuu nods his head then they head towards the small shop. Giyuu sits down at a table and tanjiro sits next to him blankly gazing at nothing. Before giyuu can question tanjiro a man in his late 30s walks up to them from behind the counter.

"What can I get ya'?"

"One bowl of udon noodles"

"What about you?"

"No thank you"

"Okay, one bowl of udon noodles coming right up"
Announced the noodle shop owner

He walks back to his cooking station to start making the food.

...

"Here you go"

"Thank you"
Giyuu said

The man walks away and behind the counter again. Giyuu starts eating while tanjiro is still blankly gazing at nothing.

"You're not hungry?"

"I don't crave anything of food"

"Right, you're a demon..."
Giyuu states

He continues eating after that and tanjiro continues to sit and stare at nothing.

...

Giyuu finishes his food and gets up from the floor with the bowl in his hands, so does tanjiro. Giyuu heads to the counter and places the bowl down then places some coins down.

"Thank you again"

"You're welcome come again"
Exclaims the noodle shop man

The duo walks out of the shop and heads out of the small village. They are again walking down a dirt path surrounded by tree's, silence falls down on them once again but like last time it isn't awkward.

---

Thats the end of this chapter. Thank you for reading.