Foul Play

Arthur Leywin

"Good afternoon, class. Castor and Cyrus have told me how far you've gotten.

That brings me to my next point. What's your answer?

Is the color of a mage's mana really an accurate method to determine their strength?"

Feyrith stood as he confidently smiled. "It seems I'll have to answer this one, then!"

The students gossiped to each other, complaining that I'd have given another Disciplinary Committee member the answer to the question.

"I believe the color of a mage's mana core is a most excellent method of accurately determining the level of a mage's power, since it correlates to how much time and effort said mage has spent condensing and refining mana-"

"Wrong. The color of a mage's mana core doesn't take into account battle wits, technique, or any other outliers that determine the results of a duel."

Devastated, he plopped back into his seat as the other students laughed while I approached him.

Sitting next to the embarrassed Elf, I turned my attention to the princess.

"Princess Kathyln. If you were to see a fighter who stands at six foot six and three hundred pounds of solid muscle, what would your assessment be?"

She placed her hand under her chin, thinking deeply.

"I would expect the fighter to have robust strength," she answered carefully.

I nodded. "Correct. Your assessment of this fighter is exactly like Feyrith's answer to this question.

Yes, we can assume the fighter is freakishly strong, but that's it. Are we to assume he's as fast as he is strong? No, absolutely not.

Other factors can and will determine the results of a scenario. Who are we to say a smaller fighter who isn't as strong but is faster and has better technique wouldn't be able to defeat the bigger fighter?

Yes, he's strong, but in order to be a great combatant, other factors are needed, such as agility, technique, mental fortitude, experience, et cetera.

The stage of a mage's mana core only shows how much 'muscle' he or she has, but it doesn't offer much information regarding the other factors.

Of course, it's important to refine your mana core, but should that be the only factor you use to gauge your opponent's power, then congratulations.

You've just set yourself up for defeat."

I paused, allowing the students who were aggressively jotting down notes as I caught my breath.

A student with glasses raised her hand after she finished writing her notes.

"Question!"

"Go ahead."

"If the opponent's mana core isn't an accurate way of gauging his or her strength, what is? What do we do?" She asked, her expression akin to that of a test.

I tapped my temple.

"You think carefully, and assume your opponent is stronger than you anyway. There is no way to accurately gauge the strength of an opponent.

A person's mana core stage may be able to satiate your curiosity, but that's all.

Assuming the mana core could accurately measure the strength of a mage, what are you going to do if your opponent's strength is lower than your own?

Go easy? Belittle and bully him? Pick on someone just because they're weaker?

And what if their fighting strength is lower? Give up? Surrender before you even begin? Run away?