The Lances

Kuro

I watched as the rabid Marcois mindlessly lay in the bed that had been placed in a separate part of the infirmary, puddles of saliva leaking from the corners of his mouth.

"He isn't getting any saner when we're like this," Arthur said from behind.

"I know. But what I also know is that Marcois isn't going to be the same ever again. It's not that we're not doing anything to fix this, we absolutely cannot do a thing.

Those markings on his back, those spinal engravings, that's a runic language, Arthur."

I turned to see his perplexion.

"Since when exactly were you able to read runes?"

I shrugged.

"Ever since they appeared on Sylvie's body back when you were exploring the Dire Tombs."

His expression changed to confusion.

"Wait, what? Sylvie had those runes on her body?"

I shook my head.

"No, they were gold and said something completely different. The ones on Marcois are bloody red and essentially say he's been bound to the mana, whatever that means."

I sighed.

"In any case, even I'm stumped. There's no way I can remove this without... an unwanted variable. At best, I can keep him from leaking all that mana he's producing."

Arthur glanced at Marcois, sighing.

"I don't think we can keep this going. Marcois is out of commission, Lucas and Charles have been suspended, but...

I don't think we can handle this anymore. We've gotta take this to Goodsky."

"I agree," Claire's voice interjected.

"What's up, Claire?" I turned to the red-haired girl.

"I heard the details. We have to tell Director Goodsky."

I nodded.

"Looks like we're all in agreement, then. Shall we?"

"Gladly. I've been meaning to check out whoever just got here."

**

"But seriously, Kuro. I still can't believe you managed to teach those two boys so well."

"Well, I wouldn't call it teaching, per se," I countered. "I was... guiding them, y'know? Giving them tips, if anything."

Arthur clicked his tongue.

"I don't think changing their entire viewpoint on the principles of magic counts as 'giving out tips'."

"In any case, we just have to tell her everything that happened."

We pushed the doors open, only to be met with the presence of two others.

"They're..."

I moved to the side just as Claire's hands clutched Arthur's arm.

"Th-they're Lance's Bairon and Alea! In the flesh! It's really them!"

She was shaking Arthur around like a toy in excitement.

"Those three are members of the Disciplinary Committee and Student Council, and some of the brightest mages this generation has to offer."

Claire gulped as she introduced herself.

"It's an honor, Sir, Ma'am! M-my dream is to become a Lance as well one day!"