So It Begins

Kuro

"So! I know my words were kinda taken out of context, but I'm sure you at least have the gist of things going on, yeah?"

Arthur rubbed the bridge of his nose, Nico sighing deeply as his head slammed on the table.

"Yes, Kuro. I completely know why we suddenly have to prepare for a war with another continent even though we're only 12 years old.

Thank you so much for telling me everything I know."

The exaggeration in his tone obviously meant irritation.

"You know, for a guy as smart as you, you sure are dumb," Arthur commented flatly.

"Hey, I don't wanna hear that coming from you of all people. Don't think I don't know about Tessia's infatuation for you."

Nico laughed. "Arthur's never been one to acknowledge his feelings. Just look at him, he gave up his first crush to his best friend!

There's no hope for him in this world. It's better to see where this road leads and follow for the time being."

I nodded. "You've got a point. But anyway!" I shook my head, returning to the topic at hand.

"We've only got a short window to work with here.

The ship was decimated down to the transponder, so we can cross off them taking the Dicatheous' design or blueprint.

That buys us at least a year to train for the war. But it isn't enough time.

If this goes the right way, I'd say we've got... maybe three years max.

I know the three of us are monster talents, but that's not enough.

Arthur and I won't be here during that time frame, so I need you to hold the fort down from here, Nico."

"Got it. I've been catching up lately, so I'll be good for now. Don't think I'll be the same person once we meet on the battlefield," he smiled coyly.

"You little... Now, I'm definitely holding you to that," Arthur challenged.

"Go ahead, geezers. I might not be as old as you two really are, but I'll challenge you any day of the week.

The next time we see each other in the war, boys! We'll see who changed the most."

________________

"So tell me again. What exactly is all this?" Arthur asked, tinkering with the materials I had on hand.

While mixing my 'concoction', more items came out of my subspace, plopping onto the table of various other items already made.

"Well, you could say I'm making countermeasures for the inevitable rebellion.

It's a mixture of Basilisk Serpent venom, ground Ironcoat Bear claw, and a saturated, liquified pheromone secreted from the Flower of Avarice."

Perplexed, Arthur and Nico shot me a glance.

"Avarice? What does greed have to play in this?"

I tapped the side of my head, smiling confidently.

"You see, the Flower of Avarice secretes a sort of fluid, it contains a pheromone that blocks off their senses; amplifies the desires of those who inhale it at the same time.

It's only named the Flower of Avarice because everyone who's come across it desires wealth more than anything.

Its actual name should be the Flower of Sin, because it's not about amplifying greed, but about amplifying desire.