9.

Emily walked through the door after getting dressed out of the male clothes, Lavinia came up to her "where have you been?" Lavinia asked "out"

"Yeah but where? There was a man from the college here talking with dad" Lavinia started walking around Emily as she talked "they said your name a lot"

"What did they say?"

"Something about trousers and mustaches and Hats" Lavinia replied "I don't know, it all sounded super hot"

"Emily!" Her father yelled from his office, Emily knew she was in deep trouble, of course this is the risk that happens when you do things you aren't allowed too.

Emily walked into her father's study "in" he said Emily walked in a sat down on one of the seats "Did I or did I not expressly forbid you from going to that lecture?" He asked extremely angry. Emily stated silent. "Answer me!" He ordered

"Dad i--" Emily was cut off before she could ever form a sentence "Emily! This behaviour is unacceptable." Mr Dickinson spoke strictly as he placed his hands on his knees to look her in the eyes. "When I agreed to hire a maid, it was so you could do a bit of scribbling up in your room, and not so you could go..... gallivanting around the town of Amherst dressed as a man, making a mockery of me and everything I stand for. What'll people say?" He said walking around pointing at her room and making a scribbling action to make a point. Emily shut her eyes to try and not listen.

"What will they think of us?" Us. Us! They already think I'm a freak, if anything having me has already damage your reputation. That is all you care about the great Dickinson name, and how it can't be dragged across the mud, Emily thought.

"Your mother is quite unhappy with this new arrangement, and if I told her to fire Maggie....." Mr Dickinson scoffed "..... She would do it at the drop of a hat. Is that what you want?" Emily shook her head no "well, then you need to cut out these sort of antics." Emily looked at him as he walked to his desk and got a copy of his essay from the table "here. Here, is a copy of my essay. I suggest to you re-familiarise yourself with its contents. You take it." He said holding out the paper out to her for her to take.

"Dad, I remember the essay" she said

"Well not well enough. Take it" he said rasing his voice. Emily looked from him to the paper, she took it and looked at what was written.

When she was finally able to go upstairs to her room, as scrunched the paper into a ball and threw it to the ground. She then realised she could use the back to write on, she picked it up and un-scrunched it. She sat down at her desk, she flattened it and took her pencil and sharpening rock. She looked out the window and then down at her paper.

'I have never seen 'Volcanoes'- a knock on the door interrupted her writing "yes" she said. Her mother opened the door and then sat in her bed with out saying a word to her daughter "mum, I was sitting in a lecture hall. I wasn't hurting anyone."