21.

"Don't know where you are right now?"

"i'll stay in the pool and drown so I don't have to watch you leave"

___________

The doctor told the Dickinson family the worst news they could hear. They all say around the dinning room table "there's no easy way to put this?" He took a breath, as the family looked at hi waiting for him to continue. "Your daughter's going to die" Mr Dickinson had his arm wrapped around his wife "no" Mrs Dickinson whispered as tears formed "god no" she looked away from the doctor, Mr Dickinson didn't say a word. "Her symptoms are spotty. But as there's been more than reported cases" he rings his hands together before continuing "..of yellow fever within a mile of Amherst, I'm quite comfortable making that diagnosis." He explained.

"I knew it. Mrs. Boltwood's cousin." Mrs Dickinson concluded.

_

Emily sat at her desk, writing and listening for if anyone came up the stairs to see her.
"Tell all...Tell all the truth
The truth...But tell it slant -" she muttered to herself. The sound of paper sliding under the door caught her attention. Emily got up and walked to the folded letter, she picks it up in her hand, the letters were written beautifully, the message read:

If you want need another dirge,
Let me know
Yours,
Ben

Emily smiled to herself, as she re-read the letter, over and over again.

-

Mrs Dickinson was in distress she held a handkerchief as wiped her tears, as her husband continued to argue with the doctor. "Dammit, isn't there something you can give her?" The doctor shook his head, as Mr Dickinson started to shouted.
"Some medicine, some balm, something?" Mr Dickinson listed off. "What about leeches? I hear those have been effective in many cases." Mrs Dickinson suggest

"They really haven't." The doctor responded in as a calm voice as he could, with the one of the parents getting more upset and the other getting more pushy on ideas to save his daughter.

-
Emily continued to re-read the letter, even though it was a few words, Ben understood her, more then anyone else, Except Y/n she understood Emily more then anyone in the world. Ben wanted to hear her poems, someone actually wanted to hear her work. She felt a giddy feeling inside her stomach.

She heard footsteps, Emily quickly ran to her bed and jumped under the covers, her mother opened the door and walked in. "Oh. Emily." Mrs Dickinson whispered as she walked up to the water jug that was sitting on her writing desk. She picks it up along with a cup and pours it in along with wetting a cloth.