23. We lose- because we win

Episode 7; We lose-because we win

Emily and Lavinia came racing inside shouting dad as they jumped around excitedly as Emily held a poster for the circus. Lavinia jumped around excitedly "it's so exciting" Emily said. Mr Dickinson leaned on the back of the chair. "It's election day of course"

"No we're not talking about that..." Emily said as her and Lavinia look at each other. "Who cares about an election when you can't even vote" Emily and Lavinia fall into giggles. Ben covers his mouth to not show that he was smiling "we are talking about.." Lavinia said as Emily holds up the big poster.

AMHERST
PREPARE TO BE DAZZLED

THE CIRCUS IS COMING TO TOWN

"The Circus!!" Emily exclaims holding the poster in front of her "the circus is coming to Amherst" the two ladies grinned as they explained, that there would be lions, tigers, Siamese twins. Lavinia and Emily linked arms and put their head together to act like they were attached. The begged their father to let them go, but he said no that it was vile and crude for two young ladies to go too. "No, circuses are full of thieves and hucksters, gypsies...and how about those ladies though?" Emily and Lavina looked at each other they knew they weren't going to be able to go "those so called "acrobats", scantily-clade, who will certainly be roaming about, flaunting themselves like common h-- I'm not going to say it." He stopped and held up a finger before continuing"no. Circus is no place for you girls." Emily moved her head in half a circle and smiled "so will you take us?" She asked earning a look from Lavinia and her father turned to walk away, but a knock Interrupted him. Ithamar side stepped into view from around the corner.

They went off to talk by walking around the house.
______

Emily sat on her father chair with the circus poster rolled up in her hands. She was slouching in the chair "Who cares if I never see an elephant. I saw a cloud that looked like an elephant once" Emily spoke out loud. Ben side eyed her as he wrote on important documents. "I'm sorry your dad won't let you go."
"He doesn't let me to do anything. You may have noticed." Emily looked towards Ben, who turned in his chair to look at Emily. "Yeah, no reading, no swimming... "And no circuses." Emily added giving a tight lipped smile. "So... what are you gonna do instead?" He asked leaning back in his chair

"For fun, you mean?" Emily asked "Yes. How will Emily Dickinson entertain herself?" He puts down the ink pen "Mm. I don't know. I might stick around the house. Maybe have a conversation with a moth." She looked up in the air, then at Ben. "Well..." He grabbed the newspaper off the table and held it Infront of him for Emily to look at "..here's something." He smiled and flipped to the column in the newspaper that he was referring too "What's that?" Emily asked slightly intrigued "Poetry contest. It says today is the deadline to enter. "We seek the undiscovered lyrical genius of Amherst". That's you. I mean, based on what I've read of yours, it could be." He read the news paper out to her.