16.

Emily and Goerge sat on the train, Emily looked out of the window at all the nature. She was upset as she looked at everything as she realised her tree was going to be ripped out of the ground and there was nothing she could do to stop it. She rested her head on George's shoulder, a tear rolled down her nose. "I miss you Y/n" Emily mumbled, and she closed her eyes. George rests his head on her's. The two fall asleep as the train ride goes on.

Emily stood in the back off to the side, of the large crowd, that stood around the stage, the crowd talked and whispered, as the band played. "I heard the poems about me" Jane said to her friends. The band finished playing, everyone clapped.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would now like to introduce my son... William Austin Dickinson, who has composed a piece of verse in tribute to this grand event.
" Jane squeals as she grips her friends arm, excited. Austin stepped on the block, and took off his hat and gloves, placing his gloves in his hat. He took the paper that was folded in his coat pocket. "Yeah. Uh..." He chuckled nervously as he held up the paper.

"Yeah. So... I wrote a poem. "The wheels of destiny Have run their course Amherst is getting the iron horse Yes, Amherst gets a train at last We used to go slow, but now we'll go fast Through woods and hills The train will romp We'll build it a bridge To get over the swamp" Everyone's once excited faces dropped at how awful the "poem" sounded if you could even call it that, Jane scoffed as it was about her "The train will carry all the people - Red-skinned savages and Negroes" Everyone looked horrified at his choice of words, they whispered and murmured to each other and the people around them.

"So, I can't wait to ride the train And after that I'll ride it again Again" Austin looked at everyone, as everyone looked confused and disgusted with his choice of words. The man next to him clear his throat "Good rhyme at the end there." The applause came very slowly, no one new how to react.

"Writing poetry is hard." Austin whispered to his father, as he stepped back to his place "Maybe I should have asked you to cut the ribbon instead." Mr Dickinson spat "Or maybe you should have just asked Emily." Austin spat back.

Mr Dickinson looked at Emily who stared at the two in disgust.

**********
Emily sat on a picnic blanket, just enjoying the breeze and peace, she shawl wrapped around her shoulders, Emily turned her head when she heard foot steps against the grass. Her father walked up the hill towards his daughter "I thought I'd find you here." He said as he stood near her. She still didn't acknowledged him "I never mean to hurt you, Emily." He said

"People hurt each other all the time just by proximity. I'd say it's the greatest danger of civilization." She said looking out at the sky in front of her. Mr Dickinson walked under the tree "It will cost a little extra." Mr Dickinson slowly sat down next to her "And the ride won't be as fast. But..." He sighed "I will have them lay the tracks around the old fellow here." He said and pointed at the tree, the two looked at the great oak tree above them. They sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Hey, Dad, you know what I love about trees?" Emily asked "Huh, what?" He responded "The root system. Under the earth. It's just as big as the tree. It's like... a mirror image but hidden. So, right now, you and I, we're actually between two trees. One tree we can see... and the other upside down. Invisible. Like a secret." Emily explained looking at the tree to the ground. Mr Dickinson wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she rest her head on his shoulder.