Chapter 27.

Warning: will discuss a dead family member, violence.

______

Y/n laid on Emily's bed, her arm over her eyes as Emily got dressed into her Christmas green dress. "I'm sorry" Emily said, as she looked at the girl who exhaled a little, things have been very rocky since the Gilbert sisters return "I know"

The silence ate at the two, Y/n didn't move. So Emily spoke first. If Emily didn't they both would be sitting in silence until Sue came and collected them.

"Are we going to talk about it?" Emily piped up, as she sat on her bed legs crossed as Y/n sat up, shaking her head. "No." Emily sighed softly at Y/n's response, she hadn't wanted to talk about what happened when she left, or their rocky relationship right now. Emily knows Y/n like the back of her hands, she would know her anywhere. But it's clear that Emily doesn't see the sliver of hatred for Ben Y/n feels.

Y/n and Emily can be very jealous people when it came to protecting the one they love. "Please talk to me Birdy you know I'm sorry" Emily said tugging on one of her curls of wavey hair.

"I know" Y/n said, Emily opened her mouth to talk, But They turned towards the door, when a knock rang out. Sue was standing on the other side. Y/n hopped up and walked towards her sister.

≪ ◦ ❖ ◦ ≫

THE DOOR BELL RANG, EMILY WALKED OVER TO IT. She opened the door, Mr. Conkey was the first to arrive. He handed her his gloves, coat, and hat "how are you Mr Conkey?" She asked "very good, very good. It's my first Christmas since my wife died." Emily didn't think he would start giving her his whole life story, she quickly glanced at Y/n, who was helping Sue with the tree "both my daughters are married now, so..I'm all alone" he said giving Emily a smile, but pain was written in his words.

Emily took a moment to process this man's life story "well, we're happy to see you. Go into the parlour. Help yourself to some spiced wine." She gestured to the parlour as The Humphrys walked in "oh the Humphrys are here" Jane looked at the girl skeptically "why are you being so nice?" She asked, immediately handed Emily her coat, gloves, hat like she was a rack. Y/n immediately rushed to her aid. "Jane it's Christmas, it's lovely to see you, Mr. And Mrs. Humphrey." Emily addressed the parents. Y/n took some of the coats from Emily before finding somewhere to place them. "This is our friend from Concord, Louisa Alcott." Jane introduced the woman next to her. A blonde haired women. Who was short, plumb women, holding her stuff in her hands.

"Louisa May Alcott." She said, Louisa pulled her gloves off by her teeth as her hands were full, she handed them off to Lavinia who joined to help. "It's nice to meet you" Emily said as she shook the girls hand. "I'm Y/n Gilbert" the girl next to Emily introduced herself. "Louisa's a published writer" Jane told the two as a matter of factly. Emily and Y/n both look impressed but it soon turned when Louisa said it was all about the money.

She made it very clear and Emily just wanted the conversation to end, Y/n was quick to also agree when they would talk about it later. The women in front of them only cared about the money, which made Emily and Y/n's hearts clench, when Emily couldn't publish a single Poem and Y/n couldn't publish a single song without consequence. Mr Dickinson found out about the song Emily publish under her name and Y/n got the repercussions because she is enabling Emily's bad habits, she will take that whole ordeal to her grave. Emily never found out she made Maggie promise, Who had walked in to see the girl crying on the floor. A total mess. Maggie sat next to her just cradling the girl in her arms as she cried. 'it's okay' Maggie had told her, maggie held her for as long as she could, because there was no doubt Maggie would be call and she was called. She had to reluctantly leave the girl, she got Sue quickly who comforted her sister, and fixed up the small cut in her cheek from the glass that was thrown.