Laying It On The Table

"So yeah, that's it. There's not much else. I try not to think about it."
I said. "Oh my, my apologies for my earlier behavior. To think, 15 years of all that." Starfire said. "You're forgiven. It's really my fault for not having Erin explain." I said. My car had luckily stayed in one piece, even with the mix-up.

"Hey, what are we talking about?" a voice asked. "Oh hey Danny." Erin said. He tossed something to me. "Nabbed Skulker. I thought you needed the help. Oh, Starfire. I didn't see you...why are you here, exactly?" he asked her. "That would take a recap of the last hour, but to sum it up Starfire went HAM on Lyle and I had to explain. But we're all good here now." Erin answered. "Okay, so I guess if she's here then that means that--" The doorbell rang, cutting off Danny. I didn't think twice before bolting to the door and opening it slightly. "Dude, it's us. You know, Teen Titans?" Beast Boy asked. "Yes, and last time you made a mess... and now you're letting yourself in." I said as he transformed into a snake, slithering through the crack in the door. "Okay, fine you can stay for now. But if you lay a finger on my bacon, I'll rip you apart and scatter your dismembered body in the river. And to be clear I was talking to your somewhat misguided best friend Cyborg. I said hands OFF, Tin Man, or I'll do exactly what I said I'd do!" I exclaimed.

Erin rushed over to me and rubbed my shoulders. "It's just bacon, you can buy more." she said. "It's the select bacon fresh from the slaughterhouse. Did you not notice the crate out front?" I asked.

"I did, but remember, I'm vegan, don't eat anything with a head on it." Erin replied. I kissed her and took her in my arms. "I'm not worrying over nothing, it cost me 10 bucks! But then again I'm sure Danny can handle any ruckus while we're on our date. Put this on." I handed her a blindfold. "A surprise locale, nice one, big guy." Erin teased as I kissed her and led her out the door, grabbing my keys on the way out, entrusting Danny to get the story to the rest of the team.

As I drove to our destination, Erin turned to me. "We're almost there, and I'm still not telling you where so you can stop constantly asking, you know, like a 5 year old." I said. "We've been driving for...crap I can't see my watch."

"30 minutes and counting. Trust me, we're almost there. In fact here's the turn now. And you can take your blindfold off." I said as I parked. "Okay what did you want to-- Oh my God!"

"Surprise!" I said. A row of lights illuminated the way inside the Hotel Sanders, where I'd reserved a table at the private restaurant which awaited us at the end of the hall. (I did the waiter a favor a while back.)

I led my still awestruck girlfriend inside where we sat down to a beautifully prepared meal. "I also have one more surprise for you." I said. Erin looked at me with those hazel eyes I'd known for 3 years. "What could possibly top this? I'm over the moon." she said. I then asked her a question that had been a long time coming.

We got back to FentonWorks and Erin couldn't resist sharing everything with Danny. "And then he...he... I can't believe it." Erin said.

"What happened, Erin?" he asked.

"He told me not to mention it, but I have to because... he offered to pay off my family's debt. We're deep in credit card debt and he just outright offered to pay it off. I said yes, then called my parents."

Just then Danny heard a knock at the door. He opened it to find Ryan and Eve Sanders beaming at me. "So good to see you again, Danny. Where's Lyle?" Ryan asked. "Right here. What's up?" I asked. "My wife and I would like to formally give you our blessing. You make her so happy and we want to continue that. So come graduation, we're going to make wedding plans. Whenever you're ready, you can marry her." Ryan said as his wife nodded. "All expenses paid for, thanks to you. Erin, hun, we'll see you at home." Eve said as they departed. "I think this calls for celebration." I said.