Graduation

Lyle's POV: Driving to Casper High, I parked by the entrance. Mr Lancer was in charge of the ceremony (surprise surprise). "You go on ahead. I have something to do. I won't be long." I said, giving Erin a kiss. She blushed and looked at me, staring deep into my eyes. "Hurry back, okay? If you're held up by anything, text me." she said. I nodded and drove away.

About 10 minutes later I was back at the house. "Well look who's here. The guy that nearly tore Grandpa Rick's arm off." a voice said. "Nice to see you too, Summer." I replied with a slight hint of sarcasm. "How's he doing?" I asked in reference to Morty. "I tried to get his attention. He appears to be fine, though." I analyzed Morty on the couch and noticed a gash in his left side. "When did this happen?" I asked her, pointing to it. "I don't know. Maybe it was after you got out of that portal thingy."

I had a feeling that she was wrong. This wound looked fresh. "Did anyone you didn't recognize come by here?" I asked. "Some lady asked about you, that's it."

Mom was here. This didn't add up. I ran up and gave her the biggest hug I could. "Lyle, it's only been a week!" Mom said. "It feels like a lot longer. Oh right, where are my manners? Mom, meet Morty and Summer. Morty and Summer, my mom Celia Paisley." I said. Morty gave a weak hello as my mom and Summer shook hands. "What happened to him? Let's see here, hold still." my mom said. Looking at Morty's wound she concluded that she didn't know what happened.

That's when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. "Did you bring tweezers or forceps, Mom?" I asked. She nodded. "Never leave home without them." she said, handing over the forceps. "Okay Morty, hold still." I said as I slowly extracted the foreign object from Morty's side. "It's a shard of metal. But not any type I know of. At least not in this world." I said, taking out my phone and texting Erin. "I have to go. Mom, Summer, can you look after Morty while I'm out? I have to see a lady about a graduation ceremony." I said. They nodded. "Go ahead. I'll do everything I can here. Summer can help." Celia said.

I grabbed my graduation robe and phased it on, picking up my key fob off the hook and getting into my car. I drove off, hoping that I didn't keep Erin waiting.

Parking my car in the parking lot, I raced over to the auditorium. "Oh, good. You're just in time, handsome." Erin said, now my turn to blush. "Thanks, you look great too. But you always do." I replied. "And now it's my pleasure to introduce our graduating class valedictorian, Lyle Fenton." Mr Lancer said. I looked at Erin with shock on my face. "Oh, what are you waiting for? Go on." she said. I walked up to the podium, unsure of what to say. I took a breath and said what I had on my mind.

"Um, what can I say? Thanks to everyone who made this possible. My friends, family, classmates, and of course the teachers. You welcomed me with open arms and I can't thank you enough. As weird as it may sound, I had nothing prepared. I'm just glad that something good came from all this absolute chaos. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this day is just another chapter in the books. Once again, thank you all and I'll miss you all. Except maybe a couple of you. You know who you are. And lastly, I'd like to thank my girlfriend Erin, who waited 20 minutes for me." That last comment got a huge laugh.

Graduation proceeded as planned, with speeches made, pictures taken and a big party afterwards.