Morty Takes a Stand

Lyle's POV: I was right by Morty's side when he woke up. "Ugh, what happened?" he asked. "You got hit by a car." I replied. "Why don't I believe you? And why do my ribs hurt? A lot?!" he exclaimed. "I don't really know -- oh God, Morty!" I exclaimed. He looked absolutely green-- probably because he was glowing that exact color. I've experienced that same thing, but never with my ribs hurting at the same time. "Are you gonna take me somewhere or not?!" he exclaimed. "Yeah, you have Rick's number, right?" I asked. He nodded, handing over his cell. I highlighted Rick's number and it rung twice before it went to voicemail.

"You've reached Rick Sanchez. I can't come to the phone, as I have better things to do. Please leave a message after the beep. Or don't, I'm probably tied up with my stupid family issues."

I left my message and turned back to the anguished Morty, handing back his cellphone. "He's busy?! With what? I feel like shit and he's busy!!! What the fuck?!" he exclaimed. "Morty, emotions..." I warned. "No! I'm sorry but screw you and screw Rick! I'm done! I said that before but this time I mean it!" he yelled, crushing his phone in his rage. He didn't waiver as battery acid covered his palm. "Um...didn't that hurt?" I asked. I didn't get an answer. He simply tossed the phone aside. Then something weird happened.

His palm, previously burned and lacking skin, regenerates as good as new as if nothing happened. I saw the entire process, and immediately threw up. "Oh, cool. Regeneration." Morty said. "You saw that and you didn't toss your cookies? That was disgusting. I'm going to see this for years to come. I need a break." I rushed out of the room, past a familiar face. "Wasn't that the weird kid that gave Rick a new lease on life by taking a bite of his shoulder?" Summer asked. "You know very well that Rick never learns a fucking thing!"

I forgot that I had a day planned with Erin, so I sped through the streets to the new residence of the Sanders, a brick building with stained glass windows. Seeing Erin standing there in an outfit that I'm guessing she bought a few days ago: A red dress with matching high heels, a blue clutch purse and my gift of a pearl necklace with an emerald clasp. "Sorry I'm late. I see you're wearing the necklace I got you." I said. "You're fine, I wasn't waiting that long. And I always wear it. It's so nice that I wear it even on non-formal occasions. The dress is just because I thought you'd like it." she said. I helped Erin into the passenger seat and got back in the driver's seat. "Lyle!" a voice exclaimed. I turned my head to see Erin's father heading over to us. "Hi Mr. Sanders. You're looking well." I said. "The missus and I owe our lives. I just wanted to give you something." he said, pulling out a credit card. "This is a card wired to the family account. Consider yourself an honorary Sanders." he said. "Dad! You're embarrassing me!" Erin exclaimed.

"It's my job as your father. Anyway, have her back here by midnight. Just a rule we have." he said. I nodded.