Chapter 10

Dotty worked in the house from top to bottom. She scrubbed everything, removing all layers of dust and grime and cobwebs. It was soothing to put her mind to work.

The only downside was the house was freezing. The HVAC system was definitely shot after sitting unused for so many years. Luckily, she was a pro at making fires in the fireplace. It did nothing to warm the concrete floors that froze her toes, even in her boots.

It had been two days since she had heard from her mates. She took that as a good sign. Hopefully, they figured something out.

They all had been through awful things, and she couldn't be upset when all of their lives had changed so quickly.

It was expected that they would be together forever, that they were soulmates, and that type of change wouldn't happen over just a few hours.

It was a lot to process. It was hard to be open and vulnerable when she had gotten so used to dealing with things all on her own, and she knew her two Alphas were the very same way.

"Knock, knock," Harlan called, stepping into the house with Cassian behind him.

She smiled, eager to see them. She abandoned her rag on the kitchen island.

"There's our pretty mate," Harlan cooed, pulling her into his embrace. He looked refreshed today. Honestly, the most alive she had seen him since they met. He was so handsome when he was smiling.

He released her, and she moved to Cassian, wrapping her arms around his back.

"I'm sorry," he said sincerely, rubbing her back.

"I'm not mad." Her voice was muffled by his chest. It was so comforting to be in their presence.

"It looks great in here," Harlan complimented.

"I haven't done much down here," she giggled. "I've mostly been upstairs."

"We missed you," Cassian whispered, so sweet and soft. Her heart gently thudded in her chest.

She reached up to cup his cheek. He kissed the palm of her hand.

"We have a lot to talk about. We brought a huge air mattress and dinner," Harlan said.

"We'll probably want to be close to the fireplace. I couldn't get the heating to work," she said, stepping back.

"You should've called us, baby. You don't need to be working in the cold."

She could feel her cheeks heat at Harlan's endearment.

They made their make shift bed, piling it high with lots of blankets and pillows. Not only had they brought a nice dinner, they also brought a lot of junk food. It was a pretty good peace offering.

It was exciting to be in their house together. It felt less abandoned now, and more home-y.

There was something different about her Alphas too. There was a light-heartedness that had never been there before.

"Harlan and I will be combining packs," Cassian said, ripping open a bag of sour gummy worms. He offered them to her and she took a blue one.

"I think that's great," she said. "I think leading such polar lives would put a very big strain on our relationship."

"We've thought it through, even planned a ceremony," Harlan said. "We'd like to announce you as our mate, if you're ready. No pressure at all."

"I'm ready." They had put in the work, and she was ready to take on her role.

She took the bag of gummy worms from Harlan, taking a red one this time.

"This mattress is slowly deflating," Cassian said.

"I highly doubt it was made for three people," Harlan said with a chuckle.

Dotty smiled.

"Can one of you hook me up with some paint or do we do floors next?" she asked curiously.

"Heating should be looked at, and then flooring. What we choose for the floors will determine the paint colors we use," Harlan answered, opening a bag of mini chocolates.

She nudged Cassian playfully. "We have our own personal handyman."

"I don't think he's qualified to do any actual work though," Cassian teased.

They were so handsome. There was something so different about today. The way she found herself looking at them was different. It was the little things, like Harlan's laugh a few moments ago. It made her feel butterflies in her belly.

She yawned, scooting down to lay her head in Cassian's lap. She curled her legs in close. Harlan covered her with a big blanket

Cassian collected her hair from her neck gently, helping her so she wasn't laying on it. A contentedness washed over her, and her eyes fluttered.

"Go to sleep. We've got you," Cassian whispered, lips gently fanning over her cheek.