Chapter 19

Cassian and Harlan refused to let Dotty out of their sight, which was totally fine by her because she was freaking out. Someone was really trying to hurt them, someone had hurt them. And for what reason?

The call was traced to some burner phone that had probably long since been discarded.

How could someone mimick their voices like that? Harlan was fragile as it is. Dotty could tell this took a big toll on him, and she really hated it.

She was dozing in Cassian's lap, curled against his chest, as he talked to Jacob and Ellis.

"This feels like the beginning," Cassian said, his deep voice soothing her frayed nerves. His hand was coasting up and down her arm absentmindedly. Her eyes fluttered.

"Killing my parents was the beginning," Harlan said. "This is the end."

"I think they want you dead, Alpha," Jacob said.

Cassian growled lowly.

"It just makes sense with your history that they would use your mate against you. It's the same pattern as before. They turned Cassian against you."

"If they wanted me dead, they would have killed me alongside my family."

"There must be something else then," Ellis spoke up. "A reason that they spared you."

"They probably just wanted to see the pack fall apart," Harlan mumbled.

"I think Ellis is right," Cassian said. "Our packs had a treaty before this."

She felt herself being moved, and her eyes opened again.

"Sorry, angel," Cassian mumbled, kissing her forehead and placing her in Harlan's lap.

Harlan wrapped his arms around her tightly.

She watched Cassian move a wall panel in the office, revealing a small safe. He unlocked it, pulling out a stack of papers. He sifted through.

"The Graywood Pack and North Ridge Pack made it official that if something were to happen to the North Ridge leaders and their heirs, Graywood would take over."

"I had completely forgotten about that," Jacob admitted.

"I didn't even know that was a thing," Harlan said, reaching for the document.

Dotty sat herself up, moving over to the couch, and pulling a soft blanket over herself with a yawn.

"They needed a way to get Cassian out of the picture then," Dotty said.

"I kind of did that. I didn't speak to Cassian for over two years. If they were going to do something else, wouldn't they have done so already?" Harlan sighed, putting the document back in the folder. Cassian put it back in the safe.

"It's probably not going to make sense. It was a shitty plan to begin with. What matters is we figure out who's behind it, and we get it taken care of once and for all."

Cassian continued, "I need increased perimeter checks with patrol moving every hour instead of every three. Everyone between ages 18-25 will begin mandatory training every morning starting tomorrow. I want every person entering and exiting our land, and every visitor documented and logged. I know it's going to be a pain in the ass, but it's for everyone's safety."

Ellis and Jacob agreed, leaving their leaders alone in the office.

"What do you think will happen?" Dotty mumbled.

"I don't know," Cassian sighed. Harlan sat lost in thought.

Dotty stood and stretched, sensing the unspoken words between her mates.

"I'm going to grab some lunch since none of us have eaten today."

When she left, Cassian turned to Harlan, rolling his chair to his side.

"I know the death of your family was all my fault, and I'm determined to do better this time," he told Harlan softly.

"What?" He looked up, meeting his eye. "Cassian, my parents didn't die because of you. Why would you think that?"

"I brought Amy over. It was all my fucking fault, and you know it. She probably used the drinks from dinner to drug each of you."

"You don't even remember meeting her. She probably had done something to you, too. Either way, it does not matter. I've spent two years blaming myself, and it's a really shitty trip. You don't need to do the same. Blame Amy. "

Cassian went to protest, but Harlan stopped him.

"If you had known what was going on, I am damn sure you would've stopped it. I can see how protective you are over Dotty, the pack, even me. You are our strength, our everything."

A rise of emotion left Cassian unable to speak at his friend's sweet sentiment. He choked it down.

"The same goes for you, Harlan. You are so important to Dotty and I. It scared the hell out of me when I saw how broken you were yesterday."

"I can't change the thoughts in my head, or even the doubts I have, but waking up to you and Dotty in our beautiful house... it makes me excited for the future. I haven't felt that way in a very long time."

Dotty entered the room with a large tray.

"You all are so cute," she cooed. "Are you going to makeout?"

Cassian leaned back, not realizing how close he had moved to Harlan. Harlan's neck and ears turned red.

"I would love to see it," she said, continuing to tease as she set down their food.

"You know what I'd love to see?" Harlan retorted mischievously. Cassian scoffed like he could see the dirty thoughts running through his head.

"Don't finish that thought, Alpha Rhodes." She dragged her chair over between them.