Chapter 27

"They're breaking ground on the new building today," Cassian told Dotty as she plated him a waffle.

She was helping some of the ladies with breakfast for those in training, and while they took their delivery outside, since the weather was so beautiful, Dotty stayed behind to feed her Alphas.

"I remember you mentioning that," she said. "I can't believe it's happening."

"I know. I'd really like it to be done before the next winter, since that was the whole point, to have some place to gather when it's difficult to be outside."

She made a plate for herself. Harlan was leading the training today. He and Cassian had to split training into two groups, each leading opposite days.

There was a large demand for it since the incident with Amy seemed to bring out a little bit of anxiety. Wolves were protective of their people, and their land, and being cautious never hurt.

She wasn't sure if Harlan would eat with his group or if he would come inside. It was already hot, and she assumed he would go home to shower first.

"Were they able to plan for everything you wanted?" Dotty asked, following Cassian up to his office.

"Yes. Finally, a large dining hall for everybody, and a state-of-the-art kitchen. There's going to be a gym, and a bowling alley. I'm also hoping for a movie theater room, and maybe a games area."

"Wow," she said.

"We're going to try to do as much of that within our budget. When Harlan and I were kids, it was hard to be stuck inside all of the time. I think that there's still some segregation between both of the packs because there are two pack houses."

"Plus, if the kids never interacted with each other before, it could be difficult to adjust, especially teenagers."

"Exactly," he nodded. "And because of that, I was wondering if you would be interested in leading a committee for the summer to plan activities for the children while they are out of school. Harlan and I have discussed a budget, and we're hoping to do something once a week."

Dotty smiled and agreed. Her mates were so thoughtful.

Harlan entered the office quite loudly. His hair was still damp from the shower, and he smelled good.

He went straight to Dotty, lifting her out of her seat and squeezing her to his chest.

"Hey!" she laughed, wrapping her legs and arms around him to secure herself.

"You look beautiful today, honey, as you do everyday, and breakfast was amazing."

"You know I can't really cook," she said, giving him a kiss. "But I am a good sous chef."

He gave her another kiss before setting her back down.

"The council called during training," Harlan said, going over to his desk.

"Did you answer?" Cassian asked, stacking his dishes.

"No."

"Harlan," Cassian scolded.

"I was just a little nervous to," he admitted. "I wanted you to be around."

"Aw," Dotty chimed in. "That's so cute. You love him."

"I value his opinion," Harlan huffed in correction, pulling out his cellphone and dialing the number.

Cassian rolled his chair over to listen.

The phone call didn't last very long, and Dotty couldn't quite tell what it was all about.

"They want Harlan and I to travel to the city to give a statement during the trial next week," Cassian told her.

"That makes sense," Dotty said, placing all of their dishes on a tray. "How long will you be gone?"

"About two weeks," Harlan sighed. "I'm sure after we testify we could leave, but they want us for both Amy and Henry's trial."

Dotty frowned. "That's a long time."

"Don't frown, angel," Cassian said. "You could come with us."

Dotty stood, getting into his lap, wrapping around him tightly. She stuffed her face in his neck.

"I know," she whispered. "But I think I should stay here."

If she stayed behind, she could help Jacob and Ellis, and ease the workload for her mates when they got back. Plus, it was summer, and the season for gathering. This was the first time where everyone could actually come together and enjoy the weather and each other.

Cassian kissed her cheek, squeezing her tightly.

"You are a gift to this pack," he whispered.

"And we love you," Harlan added.