Chapter 15

Harlan was pretty quiet over the next few days. Dotty busied herself, trying to figure out how she wanted things to be laid out in the new house, and she started meeting some of the pack members.

She spent some time between both pack houses, with the ladies who cook and clean for pack meals. She didn't realize how much she had missed that sense of community in her life until she started meeting new people. Everyone had been so kind and welcoming towards her.

Harlan had decided that he wanted to go into his parents house, for the first time in several years. Dotty couldn't imagine having to come to that decision, to face something so dark and unknown. She was worried for him.

She was worried for Cassian, too. He practically grew up as a part of Harlan's family. It wasn't going to be easy on any of them.

Harlan's house was well kept considering it was empty. The driveway and porch was clear of snow and mud. The rocking chairs looked fairly new and clean, not at all weathered from the elements.

Her Alphas looked so haunted. Cassian was the first to enter.

The sob of pure anguish that Harlan released felt like someone was twisting on Dotty's heart.

She stepped into the house behind them, giving them the space they both needed to process.

She heard Cassian whispering something to Harlan, his arms wrapped firmly around him. They both were pretty close to crying, and she looked away, even though she adored the fact that they were showing each other some kind of affection. They needed this.

She walked some of the rooms, taking in all of the pictures of Cassian and Harlan and who she assumed was Harlan's older brother.

She stepped closer to her mates when they finally broke apart.

"I found the three of them here. There was a rug that they removed," Harlan said, his voice rough and thick.

The room was spotless, despite a little staining on the hardwood. Dotty would have never been able to tell that it was the site of a horrific crime.

"To overpower two Alphas..." Cassian mumbled.

"I always just assumed they were sleeping and were caught off guard," Harlan said back.

Dotty moved closer to the couch, admiring the beautiful family portrait hanging above it. Her sock covered foot stepped on something as she bumped against the furniture piece slightly.

She bent over, having to stick her hand under the couch to retrieve the small gold bracelet with a few charms on it.

"Was this your mom's?" she asked Harlan, offering it to him.

It was Cassian who took it, looking pale as a ghost.

"Fuck," he said, examining it closely. "I gave this to Amy after we came here for dinner."

"After?" Harlan whispered. "Not before?"

"It was after. I remember it distinctively. She told me she preferred more mature jewelry with diamonds."

"What a bitch," Harlan rolled his eyes. "So she must've had something to do with it, but I highly doubt she was alone."

"I agree," Cassian nodded. "I think we should track her down."

"I have more questions than answers at this point," Harlan sighed. "I just want all of this to be over with."

Cassian placed a supportive hand on his shoulder. Their eyes were wandering all over the room, facing so many memories from what felt like another lifetime.

"It does feel good to be in here again," Harlan admitted quietly after a moment. "Not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be."

He finally casted his gaze on Dotty, offering a tiny smile. He held out his arms and she walked into his embrace, resting her head on his chest.

"You were right, Cassian. That painting in the dining room. I want it to be in our home."

Cassian went to retrieve the painting. It was a stunning landscape with a small family of wolves that looked to be weaving in and out of the trees.

"My mom painted that," Harlan whispered to Dotty.

"Wow," she breathed. "It's perfect. I know exactly where it can go."

He kissed her cheek, before releasing her.

"Our appliances got delivered yesterday," Dotty said. "All hooked up and ready to go."

Cassian hummed. "I vote we go make some cookies in our new oven."