Chapter 29 - Time Skip

Five Years Later

Dotty closed the story book she was reading to the class of kindergarten aged students.

"What do we say to Miss Luna?" the teacher asked.

The little group thanked her, so polite and adorable.

"You're welcome," Dotty smiled. "I'll see you for storytime next week."

She stood from the small plastic chair, waving goodbye.

The young teacher walked her to the door.

"I just wanted to say congratulations," she smiled. "If you can't make it next week, don't worry about coming. I know you're close to term."

Dotty placed a hand on her pronounced stomach.

"I wouldn't want to disappoint them. Next week will probably be my last one for a little while."

Dotty was pregnant. Having kids was something she and her Alphas had talked about for awhile, but they had dedicated the last few years to themselves, to enjoy each other's company.

Pregnancy hadn't been easy on her. She was sick most days, and other days she couldn't sleep. Everything ached, especially her back and feet. She spent a lot of time in bed. It definitely wasn't what she was expecting to experience.

That didn't make her any less excited to have the baby though. He or she was going to be so loved. Dotty was a little nervous about the lack of extended family. She didn't doubt her Mates' ability to parent, but having additional support would have been nice.

The pack had been so supportive already. She knew that they would fill that void.

She found Harlan and Cassian in the Rec Center. That's what they called the new building with the gaming areas and dining hall.

The construction took nearly two years, way longer than anyone had anticipated, but it was worth the wait. The extra time had allowed them to invest in a basketball court and a few quieter study areas. It was the central hub now, and there was always something to do.

"Hey, honey," Harlan said, shooting the basketball. It hit the rim of the hoop, bouncing off.

Cassian came to her, pulling her into his arms. He lifted her chin, inspecting her closely.

"How do you feel after this morning?" he asked.

"I've been nauseous all day," she admitted, dropping her head onto his chest.

Harlan joined them, breathless from his game.

"I'm sorry," Harlan said sincerely. "I wish that we could do something."

"It's okay," she said, offering him a small smile. "I know they are going to be worth all of the trouble, and we're in the last stretch of it now."

---

The baby girl's eyes barely opened, and she yawned like she was the one who had just done all of the hard work.

Harlan dried Dotty's face of her tears, admiring their daughter.

"She's so beautiful," he whispered, glancing up at Cassian who was equally as awestruck.

"A little girl," Cassian said. "Does that mean I won the bet?"

"Yes," Dotty said, giving a soft laugh. "Little Cassie May, named after her Papa."

Dotty snuggled her baby, before handing her to Cassian who gave a little sob at holding her for the first time. He dropped into the chair.

"Cassie May," he whispered, giving her a gentle kiss on the forehead before passing her to Harlan.

"You're going to be so much trouble, just like your mama," Harlan said.

Cassian took Dotty's hand, giving her a sweet kiss on the lips.

"She's perfect, just like you," he told her.

"I love you both," Dotty smiled at her mates, feeling content and complete.