Chapter 18

After the trio officially moved into their new home, they fell into a good routine.

Cassian and Harlan worked well together, and the pack seemed to be thriving. Money was flowing, and the weather was starting to open up slowly.

They had even started on some rough blueprints for a new building, a shared place that was centralized for members who were stretched on both sides. Harlan thought it would be a good idea to have an area for the kids and teens to hang out when it was cold, as well as a large enough dining hall to accommodate all of the pack.

Construction wouldn't begin for a while, since Harlan wanted to be able to contribute his own funds. He still had to dig his own side out of the hole a little bit, but with Cassian's help, it would take no time at all.

"Alright, Harlan. Dotty and I are going in town to pick up some of that artwork she had bought for the bedroom. Are you sure you don't want to come?" Cassian asked.

"I'm supposed to have a call with your bank to set up an account with them," Harlan said. "I'll just see you both back at home."

"Alright," Cassian nodded, pulling on his coat. "Call me if you need anything."

---

Harlan yawned, dropping his phone on his desk loudly. He had been on a call for nearly an hour. He was trying to open a bank account for the pack at the same place as Cassian's just to make their lives easier. It was such a process. He would've preferred to spend the time with his mate.

He pulled on his coat. He was finished for the day. He was going to get up extra early to run patrol and help Jacob with training. He tried to do that a few times a week.

His phone rang with an unknown number. He huffed a bit, figuring it was someone from the bank, but he answered anyway.

"I'm so glad that I get to spend time with just you, Cassian."

Was that Dotty? Harlan double checked the number, but it wasn't Cassian's.

"Harlan can be whiny," Cassian answered.

"More than whiny," she scoffed. "He's annoying. He has the same problems all the time that he never gets over."

Harlan scrubbed his face, dropping into his chair. What the hell was he hearing? How was he listening to them? Maybe a pack member heard them talking shit...

Something wasn't right. He dug around in his desk drawer, pulling out a digital recorder. This couldn't possibly be-

"I know those depressive episodes are all for attention," Dotty continued. There was some shuffling and crackling on the phone. But Harlan still heard the most painful part.

"I wish I only had you as my mate."

He muffled the involuntary sob with his palm, hanging up the call. He could feel the pounding in his chest, and the pressure of tears behind his eyes.

The two people he thought loved him. The only two people.

There was no explanation for what he heard. His heart had been shattered.

He left the office, climbing into his truck, dropping his head onto the steering wheel.

He was so conflicted. He was certain that Dotty and Cassian loved him. He felt it.

He dialed Cassian's number, waiting anxiously for it to ring, but it never did. It went straight to voicemail.

The last thing he wanted was to go home. He needed to confront them though. He needed answers.

Cassian and Dotty arrived home shortly after he did. The pair found Harlan sitting at the kitchen island.

"Why didn't you answer your phone?" Harlan asked, smearing his tears with his palm.

"Harlan," Dotty fretted, reaching for him, but he pulled away. She frowned. "Why are you crying? What happened?"

"My phone died. What's going on?" Cassian asked, pulling his cellphone out of his pocket to show him the black screen.

"I heard you talking about me. Annoying, attention seeking. Does any of that seem familiar?" He spoke to Dotty, his voice sharpening.

"It doesn't. I have no idea what you're going on about. Does that possibly seem like things I would call you? Do you doubt my love for you that much?"

She gave a soft sniffle, glancing up at Cassian who placed a supportive hand on the small of her back.

Harlan hurt even more just from the pain he caused her. He believed her. Of course he did, but how could he explain what he just went through?

"How could you have heard her talk?" Cassian questioned. "We were together the whole time. There was no one near us."

Harlan handed him the recorder.

"I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I just assumed it was the bank."

Cassian played back the minute or so recorded.

Dotty let out a startled gasp as what sounded like their voices came through. She stepped between Harlan's legs, wrapping around him tightly.

"How fucking bizarre," Cassian mumbled. "It's not real. You know that, right?"

Harlan nodded slowly. "I do now, and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have accused you all."

Dotty rubbed his chest. "It's okay. I can see why you did."

Harlan stood up, and Cassian pulled him in for a hug. Cassian placed his hand on the back of Harlan's head.

"I'm so glad you confronted us instead of doing something stupid," he sighed, releasing him.

Dotty shifted her feet. A million things were running through her head. "I'm scared you guys. What's going on? How could something like this happen?"

Harlan reached for her, pulling her right into the middle of their embrace. She couldn't help but giggle happily, despite everything, at being squished by her two tall mates.

"I think someone purposely targeted Harlan," Cassian rumbled, his deep voice vibrating against her back.

Harlan nodded. It made sense. They chose to manipulate his weakness, his little family.

"Do you think it's Amy?" Dotty whispered.

"I don't think we should rule it out," Cassian said. "I'm going to try to trace that phone number."