Chapter 22

"You are not locking me away," Dotty huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "I'm a leader to this pack just like the both of you. I will be out there protecting the people by your sides as I'm meant to do."

Cassian growled. "As noble as that is, you are a weakness and a distraction. Do as you're told, Dotty."

Harlan cupped his mate's cheek, trying to soothe her. "The people in the safe rooms need protection and guidance too, sweetheart. You can be a leader in there just as much as you would out there."

Her eyes filled with tears. "I don't want you to leave me."

"Damn it," Cassian cursed, a sucker to any anguish his mate felt. "Fine. Come with us. Just please, don't cry."

She gave a half effort laugh as Cassian crushed her to his chest, wrapping her tightly in his arms.

"You were trained to fight by the best anyway," he sighed.

Harlan rolled his eyes. "You have him wrapped around your finger."

"You're the same way," she teased.

He didn't say anything back because it was true. He would do anything his precious mate asked, especially when she got pouty and adorable. He knew she could hold her own against whatever they were facing. She had done so for years.

---

The field was quiet. The wind was chilly. It was starting to get dark. Everyone was spaced out and tense, some in wolf and others in skin. Most were hidden amongst the trees, a tactical strategy to surprise the enemy.

Cassian and Harlan had assumed the Henry guy would be following the same path into their land as Amy, and they weren't wrong.

Henry appeared moments after they did. He was a tall, greasy man with an attitude even just by the way he walked. He seemed surprised that they were waiting on him.

"I see you all have come to witness the fall of your pack," he yelled. "My name is-"

"Cut the shit. Amy's already here," Cassian retorted.

Henry paused, seeming genuinely shocked. " What? She's here?"

"That bitch," Henry huffed. "She's spoiled the surprise. If these are all of the warriors you got, you are going to need back up."

A few wolves flanked his side, maybe six or seven, but nothing compared to Graywood Lock's worth of highly trained people.

Harlan scoffed. He couldn't believe the amount of anxiety he had faced for this moment. He had expected dozens, even hundreds of wolves to show up.

Cassian, Harlan and Dotty didn't even have to shift before the psycho bunch was squared away.

"Take Henry to Harlan's holding cell," Cassian instructed Jacob who nodded.

"That was incredibly underwhelming," Harlan said as the field cleared out.

"I'm grateful," Dotty sighed. She really hated the sight of blood, and she truly was thankful for all of the lives spared and that the issue could be resolved without any problems. "I hope the council can get some better answers for you, Harlan."

He shrugged. "I'm not going to get my hopes up, as long as they are held accountable for their actions."

Cassian placed his hand on Dotty's shoulder, and she nestled into his side.

"Look out!"

It all happened so quickly. One minute the trio was standing quietly on the field, and the next a ravenous wolf was charging at them.

It was Harlan's wolf who came out in defense, stopping the beast from sinking his teeth into Cassian's neck. The wolf still managed to drag his claws down the flesh of his back.

Cassian wobbled unsteadily with a grunt, falling to his knees. Dotty didn't have time to do anything before Cassian shifted himself, going over to Harlan's aid despite the blood flooding out of him.

It took no time at all for the rogue wolf's neck to be snapped, and Cassian collapsed, the pain forcing him back into his human skin.

Harlan's wolf let out a wounded howl, a cry for help.

Dotty dropped to Cassian's side.

"Cassian," she sobbed. She tried to get him to flip onto his back, but he refused. Her hands were sticky from his blood.

"I'll be fine, Dot," he grunted, his voice weak. She could see his consciousness fading.

"We need to get to your back to stop the bleeding," Harlan said.

Ellis and Jacob and several warriors rushed forward.

"We heard your howl," Ellis said, dropping onto his knees. "We're going to have to get you to Patty. Can you stand?"

Cassian finally got onto his stomach, and Dotty turned away at the sight of the shredded skin and blood. Her stomach twisted violently, and her ears began to ring.

"Can you get her out of here?" Harlan commanded. It was Jacob who listened, taking Dotty and herding her several feet away from her mates.

"Why don't we meet them at the pack house?" Jacob asked, still trying to steer her away.

"I can't -" Dotty struggled to breathe, taking deep, labored breaths that hurt her chest. "I can't be away from them."

"I understand," Jacob said. He took her hands, cleaning them with his black t-shirt. "Just don't look, okay?"

She nodded, not wanting to look anyway. She dropped her head exhaustedly on Jacob's chest, trying to swallow the panic that threatened to take over her.