|5| invisible

Divya's POV

Divya's POV

"Don't forget your lunch, Divya!" My mom exclaimed to me from downstairs.

"I'm eating at school, remember," I have been since the beginning of the year. I pet my white fluffy cat before shooing her out of my room.

"Oh! But why, my food is ten times better," She bribed.

"Of course it is, mom," I rolled my eyes playfully to myself. She was right, I love my mom's cooking but I don't want to bring cultural food to school.

I got my bag ready and gazed at my reflection, making sure my lip gloss is applied nicely and my uniform is worn right.

I skipped downstairs gracefully, kissed my mom, goodbye then hopped into my Mercedes, immediately turning on some music.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

I hug Dima and Nermana who were waiting for me in front of school.

As we walk through the halls to our lockers I can't help but notice the stares that are directed towards Nermana, why am I surprised, she's perfect in every way I'm not. She's my best friend but I can't help the envy that clouds my head everytime I look at her.

First class was English, so Nermana and I said goodbye to Dima and went our way.

English always held a special place in my heart and my teacher is amazing!

"Okay class settle down, I am going to pass out last year's summer exams, I'm sure those of you that bother to check your reports already know what you got but to those of you that didn't, here you go," Mrs Lynch announced.

97% hmm not bad, I look over at Nermana's exam and was shook to see she got 99%, what? No way, she only studied the night before and managed to surpass me.

She folds her paper and places it in her bag. I do the same.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Lunch came and as usual we all sat in our table, no one dared to sit in our seats not because we were bullies or even scary but because we were the opposite and people respected us for it. I would also say we're popular, I have no idea why but I have a few guesses.

I filled my plate with curly fries and a veggie burger. I look over to Nermana and see her slowly chewing on almonds with an unopened yoghurt cup beside her. She never ends up eating her occasional yoghurt cups but I can tell she tries to.

I found out about Nermana's eating disorder 2 years ago, when she threw up the dinner she ate at my house, at first I was mad because I thought she didn't like my mom's cooking but then I noticed her slightly scabbed knuckles and immediately knew this wasn't her first time intentionally making herself sick. It's crazy to imagine she views herself in a way other than perfect. But at least I know one thing I'm better at than her, keeping my food down!

I've always been the observer in my friend group, everyone else is incapable. Deniz hates everybody and refuses to look at anyone she doesn't benefit from. Dima is oddly obsessed with himself, and well, sex so anyone not apart of this friend group that refuses to let him into their pants is dismissed. Asterin doesn't have the time to observe, he has a KID, Nalani only worries about her twin Nyx, ballet and whatever chaotic relationship she's got herself into and Nermana is too busy paying close attention to her food intake or thinking of the next boyfriend she'll steal from someone. Oops did I say that!

I eat my food and observe the usual dramatics that occur during lunch, random boys giggling about Nermana and Nalani sneaking glances at them (which were most definitely accidental glances). A group of girls huddle and comfort a girl that has fallen prey to Dima's week long relationships.
And of course Asterin's figurative fan club that swoon about his dedication to his daughter and how they wish they had been the mother to his daughter. So weird, I know.

I feel invisible but with a friend group like mine could I ever really be invisible.