|10| Unrequited

Divya's POV

Divya's POV

I wasn't trying to eavesdrop on them, I simply had to go to the bathroom, but lo and behold, I spot Nermana and Nyx heading into the garden together. Sure, I may have ended up trailing them to the garden maze, but hey, if they're up to something secretive, then they're the ones at fault!

I'm not close enough to hear their conversation and I can't afford to go closer and risk getting caught, this sucks! I'm about to leave but then.
"You act like we meant nothing and it pisses me off!" I hear Nyx say quite loudly but I doubt anyone else heard. There's more things said but it blends to a murmur AGAIN, I'm sure Nermana made him lower his tone. Ugh, I was hoping for it to get messy and loud but it didn't seem like it was going to. Whatever.

She didn't seem fazed at all when she finally came back to the table, if I didn't hear what I heard I would've probably thought nothing had happened. My head is filled with scenarios of how their convo could have played out but the reality of me never knowing exactly what was said makes me twitch, I should've gotten closer.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"Hey Nyx," I look up at him with a smile and pat the space beside me on my bed. After school I told him to come over saying 'it's important' and of course he came running.

"Hey Dove," he smiles back revealing his pearly white smile. The nickname makes me giggle, I havent heard it in a while. He sits next to me and scoots back to my headboard as I readjust to face him.

"What's up, you said its important, it better not be an almost due assignment that still has two weeks till its due date," He jokes reminding me of freshman year when I got stressed about everything.

"No! Don't you know I've changed,"I exclaim sarcastically, "I mean how could you when we never hang out anymore." The mood becomes more tense. Hmm.

"Come on, you know how it is with the whole breakup, it just feels weird to be around everyone like before," He states. He means around her.

"I get it, but... I miss you," I say playing with my fingers.

"Dove, you know I'm always here," he scoots closer to me to give me a hug

"I know...," I reply as the hug is about to break apart. The withdrawal from the hug is painfully slow looking into his eyes I mindlessly kiss him, like I was craving it. His soft lips are snatched away not so long after.

He pushes me aside, "Divya, you know we can't, me and Nelly just broke up," He states sitting up.

I cringe at the use of a nickname on her, I used to hear it all the time pre-breakup, I mean she has a full name so use it. "That didn't stop you before," I counter.

"Yeah but I was seriously out of it for most of the summer, I'm in a better headspace now," he says softly.

"Are you telling me you don't miss it, miss us," I trail my fingers down his arm hoping to get a reaction.

"It was a mistake, we never should've hooked up all those times, I was really sad. I mean, me and Nelly just broke up. Thank you for being there for me, I know you understand why we can't continue that," Nyx concludes giving me a side hug.

It was a mistake? It couldn't be, I mean the way he'd kiss me and look at me with those deep brown eyes had to be real, right?

No it's because of Nermana. I don't know what she said to him in that maze but it's probably why he's changed his mind about us. I can't believe this! If I tell him about her eating issues he probably won't see her the same again but that will just cause issues for me if she finds out I told him.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"Stop! She's so adorable," I exclaim in disbelief.

"She is but you can't possibly believe she didn't tempt Adrian into getting with her, he was with her ex-best friend after all," Lorraine concludes, "You're too nice I get why you'd try to believe the best."

Lorraine's completely right, Bella is a two faced b*tch, she doesn't need to know that's what I think though.

If Burr from 'Hamilton' got one thing right it's 'talk less, smile more'.

As we just turned the corner to the cafeteria Nyx and his company are heading to the large doors as well. It feels like he's moving in slow motion and I can suddenly hear my heartbeat. He looks so cute, flashing his mischievous grin, I almost thought he was smiling at me but he wasn't, it was aimed at JASMINE?! Wait what since when? Jasmine joined his side as he placed his arm around her shoulders.

"They're together? Huhhh!" Lorraine exclaims.

"It's probably still fresh," I say back calmly as if my face isn't literally on fire.

Normally me and Loraine would part ways by now but she follows me to our table and plants herself beside Nermana immediately bombarding her with questions.

"We broke up. Of course he won't tell me about his new prospects, besides, it's not my business," Nermana says answering Lorraine's questions.

"Hmm, well he downgraded, so keep your head up babes," Lorraine grins.

"Jasmine is absolutely gorgeous, he definitely didn't downgrade, and my head was never down," Nermana retorts, with a kind look at Lorraine, I can tell she's irritated by how she slightly squints her rich light brown eyes.

"That's true I guess," Lorraine says.

"Yeah, see you guys later I need to get something from the library," Nermana picks up her bag and struts off.

"She's definitely pissed, omg," Lorraine speaks up again.

"You heard her already, she's not bothered, so instead off trying to dictate how you think she should feel based on your weak mindset, keep your thoughts to yourself," Nalani confidently states before she continues to cut into her steak. Her tone never wavered, she's firm and protective when it involves people she cares about. I admire her for it.

The table slowly starts to liven up when Lorraine left to her own group.