Chapter 3- Strangers

AUTHOR POV

Later that evening everyone was home again. The day had been a mess of thinking with no action. An odd silence filled the house despite it being full, the atmosphere thick as if intoxicated by a thick fog.

Since his conversations earlier Kai was torn. Someone had to be lying, he just didn't know who. Or maybe it was both of them that were liars? Kai didn't want to believe that.

“Good first day?” Yeonjun asked, sipping at some sort of drink.

“It's been alright, the boys are really nice,” Kai answered with a smile.

Though he may have said it felt uncomfortable a few moments before having people there for him, people to talk to, somewhere to be away from his father made it all seem worth it.

“You're not bad yourself” Taehyun laughed jokingly, his eyes scrunching together with a smile.

It was safe to say that Kai and Taehyun had spoken the most and though they barely knew each other Kai realised odd things about the boy. He had OCD tendencies, repeating rituals to keep himself comfortable and asking if he had done them right. His hands were torn to pieces. Kai had watched him wash his hands for 5 minutes with three rounds of soap while counting earlier that day.

Soobin himself seemed quite simple other than being a potential pathological liar. While he was intimidating he was sweet once he calmed down. He openly told Kai he suffered from being socially inept. He would avoid eye contact and misunderstand sarcasm. He couldn't read situations well and would sometimes act in a less socially accepted way. Of course, he could be lying but Kai would like to think he was telling the truth.

Beomgyu on the other hand never seemed to brighten up. No words or sounds. No smiles or laughs. The boy seemed almost vacant. He was seen but never heard. He practically floated around like a ghost but Kai was happy to see that he was open to communicating to him in small ways.

Yeonjun, well, Kai haven't quite figured him out yet.

It was safe to say that everyone here had their own burdens.

“Yeonjun Hyung?” Soobin asked out of the blue, everyone's heads raising to listen.

Yeonjun gestured to him to speak, not bothering to speak.

“I need to go out tomorrow” Soobin stated simply.

“Why?” Yeonjun asked sharply.

“I need to go and visit family” Soobin responded calmly, not matching Yeonjun’s fast manner.

“You don't have family” Yeonjun quickly shot back, looking away from the conversation as if to indicate it was over.

“But-” Soobin was cut off.

“You always lie Soobin, give it a rest” Yeonjun shushed immediately.

“You lie all the time though” Soobin mumbled to himself, face lowered to the floor.

To Kai the conversation was oddly timed after that morning. It sounded as if both of them were trying to prove the other a liar without getting anywhere with their empty claims.

He watched the interaction subtly, not daring to evidently watch as he pretended to scroll through his phone.

“If you have something to say, let us all hear it” Yeonjun remarked snappily.

Kai felt awkward. He felt as if he shouldn't be there.

“Don't argue in front of Kai” Taehyun suddenly said, stepping in after noticing the uncomfortable feeling in the room.