Chapter 7- Who I was before

KAI POV

“I invite you to talk to me, tell me this story of yours” Yeonjun enticed.

I sighed, disbelief washing over me as I felt the words to my story write themselves for Yeonjun to hear.

It was suddenly like I was back in the scene of my past years, all of it felt real again.

Flashback- Author POV
A * indicates the start of a new flashback
3rd person scene flashes- In reality, Kai is telling Yeonjun the whole story

Friday October 1st

The day Kai’s mother died.

Kat sat at her gravestone, accompanied by his two sisters. Despite being with them he felt alone.

His father didn't even dream of showing his mother respect. Kai knew he was glad that she had passed away.

It made Kai angry knowing that he didn't care for her but at the same time her life only ever seemed to be an endless turmoil when she lived.

Perhaps the heroin overdose was what she needed.

*

Wednesday the 13th of November. Kai watched as his older sister Lea slung a bag over her back, looking around her empty room.

“Lea, stay,” Kai pleaded.

“I have a life away from here, someday you will too, i'm going” Lea insisted, walking past Kai and towards the front door.

He chased after her, blocking the door in an instant.

That was when she looked different. No life lit behind her eyes, her cold stare shot through Kai’s soul.

“What about me and Bahiyyih. You can't leave us here with dad” Kai pleaded as he blocked the door with all his strength.

“You're selfish for trying to keep me here. Move” Lea snapped, pushing Kai out the way and rushing away from the house.

Kai sat crumpled in the doorway, alone and defenceless. Lea was the only one he had to look to and he just lost her.

*

Kai watched as Bahiyyih left the living room having spoken with their father. Her eyes were watered, her cheek stained red where she had presumably been hit.

This happened all but too often.

“Hiyyih” he whispered, just catching her attention.

She ran towards him, the pair rushing off into Kai’s room to avoid disturbing their father.

“Hiyyih, Hiyyih, it’s over, it's over, it’s okay, i've got you” Kai comforted as she cried into his shoulder.

Her body let go, dragging them both to the floor as she sobbed into Kai’s shoulder until she couldn't anymore, the pair left on the floor in eachothers arms.

“Just give me some time, I’ll find somewhere else for us to go,” Kai said, pulling her away so she could look at him.

“Don’t worry too much” she said as she nodded, her brown eyes glassy.

“I would do anything for you, you know that. Watching our alcoholic father hurt you isn't something I want to see you go through. I'll find us somewhere, I promise” Kai said firmly, smiling softly.

*

It was after that promise that the world seemed to fall apart just a little bit too quickly Kai to keep up