5. To You, In 2,000 Years

AUTHOR'S POV:

.
.
.
.

The dreaming person saw as beautiful Campanula flowers moved beautifully with the flow of wind.

Then the beauty was replaced by blood, a Titan's teeth, a stone building with a windmill that became overrun by Titans, a red uniform, children's toys, a bee in a human eye, a close-up of a creepy Titan smile and Founder Ymir turning around.
.
.
.

Two birds suddenly flew away from the lone tree.

Eren, who was sleeping under the tree while his head was on Mikasa's lap woke up with a gasp.

The first thing he saw was Mikasa who was stroking his hair, looking down at him.

"Eren...?" Mikasa softly called out, still stroking his hair. "Nightmare?"

"Mikasa?" Eren said, confused.

Mikasa smiled. "It's about time you wake up, sleepyhead." She pinched Eren's cheek. "We should head home now."

Eren sat up. "What are we doing here?"

"You were that deep asleep you don't know what we are here for?" Mikasa asked and stood up.

Eren held his head. "No... it just feels like... I was having a really long dream."

"Do you remember it?" Mikasa asked and went to grab her firewood.

"I don't... remember anything..." Eren replied and stood up.

Mikasa hoisted up the firewoods on her back. Then she looked at him. "Eren, you are crying." She stepped towards him.

"Huh?" Eren said and touched his tear strained face in confusion.

Mikasa stopped before him and gently wiped his tears. 'Today is the day...' She let out a sigh.

She turned around. "Let's return home now."

"Hm..." Eren said.

Then both of them started walking towards their home.
.
.

The atmosphere was peaceful.

People moved about without worry, going on with their lives.
.

The two of them continued to walk in silence.

"Please don't tell Mom about me crying." Eren said, head down as he walked.

Mikasa looked at him. "I won't. But Eren, don't you think at this point you should have uncle Grisha give you a check up? I mean, you have been crying in your sleep since a long time."

"I don't want him to worry about me so much so I won't tell him, Mikasa." Eren said.

"What are you crying about, Eren?" Hannes said.

Eren looked up. "Hannes-san!"

"Did Mikasa scold you again?" Hannes asked. His cheeks were pink and his words a little slurred.

"Huh?! What makes you think I was crying?!" Eren said. "Whoa!" He jerked away, hand over his nose. "You reek of a booze!"

"Come on, it's cool." A voice came from behind Hannes.

Three Garrison soldiers were playing cards, a bottle of alcohol in plain sight, laughing without a care.

Eren stared at the scene with wide eyes. "You're drinking again?"

"Why don't you three join us?" Hannes teased.

"Well, uh... don't you have work to do?" Eren asked, looking up at him.