16. Can't Look into His Eyes Yet

AUTHOR'S POV:

Mikasa and the rest of the survived soilders were in the mess hall.
.

Mikasa was sitting at a bench with Armin, deep in thoughts.

Then Mina came towards her in a rush. "Mikasa!"

Mikasa looked at her. "Hmm?"

Mina stopped before her. "Eren's Mom is looking for you."

Mikasa's eyes widened a bit. She stood up. "Where is she?"

"Just outside." Mina replied.

"Thanks." Mikasa said and left.
.

Carla was waiting outside the Cadet Corp premise, holding a bag filled with three tupperwares.

After a moment, Mikasa approached her.

Carla smiled as she noticed Mikasa.
.

Mikasa stopped before her and smiled. "Aunty."

"Oh Mikasa." Carla said and hugged Mikasa.

Mikasa hugged her back.

"I'm glad you're ok." Carla said and pulled away a bit. Her expression changed to worry. "But where is Eren? Hannes did say he's alright but where is he?"

Mikasa let out a sigh. "Well, it's a complicated, Aunty."

Carla's eyes widened a bit. "Complicated?" She grabbed Mikasa's hand. "Is he alright? Where is he now?"

"He is alright, Aunty." Mikasa said. "Don't worry. It's just that..."

Carla got teary eyed. "Please Mikasa, tell me."

"I don't know if you'll believe me or not but..." Mikasa said and looked around. Then she looked at Carla. "He came out of a titan nape after the battle."

Carla gasped. "Titan nape? What does that mean?"

"Well, he is in fact have the ability to turn himself into a Titan at will." Mikasa said. "That's how he closed the Throst gate with a giant boulder."

"Mikasa, it's not the time to joke." Carla said. "How could someone turn into a Titan?"

"I'm not joking, Aunty." Mikasa said. "Well, what happened is that, in mid battle, a titan... swallowed him..."

Carla gasped.

"Then he turned into a Titan and killed other titans before he fell on the ground and came out of his titan's nape." Mikasa said.

"He was... swallowed by a Titan?" Carla said in horror.

Mikasa nodded and looked down. "I'm sorry, Aunty. I was assigned to a different squad."

Carla put her hand on Mikasa's. "It's ok, Mikasa but where is Eren now?"

Mikasa let out a sigh. "He's probably in a prison cell now."

Carla's eyes widened. "Why in a prison cell?"

"Well, he is held there till the court hearing." Mikasa said. "Apparently, the MPs and the Survey Corps will fight for his custody."

"Custody?" Carla asked, confused.

"Yeah... Basically, they'll use him as a... weapon against titans." Mikasa said.

Carla gasped. "Weapons? Can we not convince them to send Eren home?"

"No Aunty." Mikasa said. "Eren carries the whole responsibility of all of humanity on his shoulders now. If we stop him then we might not survive."