20. Forest of Giant Trees

___________________________________________

Republished after some edits.

You guys could skip this chapter too.

__________________________________________

AUTHOR'S POV:

Jean was standing on a rock, whistling to signal her horse to come.

Reiner was treating Armin's wound. "How's your 3D maneuver gear looking, Armin?"

"It's fine." Armin replied. "The clasp released like it was supposed to, so it seems it's not broken."

"I see." Reiner said, unrolling a bandage. "I'm glad to hear it. But what do we do?" He looked over at Jean, who was still whistling loudly. "We only have one horse. If Jean's horse comes back, the three of us can move, but..."

'What the hell?' Jean glanced at the horse beside him. 'Reiner's horse returned, so why didn't mine? We can't stay here any longer.' Fingers in his mouth, he began whistling again.
.

The field before him lay empty and peaceful, no sign of life.
.

He pulled out his fingers, coated in saliva. 'Worst comes to worst, we'll have to leave someone here.' He looked behind him. 'But how would we decide who to leave? Armin, since he's wounded? Or Reiner, since he's big and would have trouble riding with someone else? Or should I run and try to find my horse? Jean looked down. "Shit!" He cursed. 'Why the hell do I have to think about this? We all made it through that fight alive. But now we have to leave one person behind?' He began whistling for his horse once more.

Armin was staring at the ground, silent, remembering laying on the ground with wide eyes when the Female Titan was looking at him, creepily.

"Armin... Hey, Armin!" Reiner's voice snapped him out of his stupor. "You still dizzy?"

"Yeah, my head's still a bit fuzzy." Armin said.

"I see." Reiner said, standing up. "But we must decide. It's a hard choice, but someone will have to stay behind."

Jean stopped whistling and looked at him.

"Wait!" Armin said and stood up. "First, let's fire a smoke round. If the formation continued straight ahead, the 4th row's 3rd team should be nearby."

A purple flare shot up to the sky as someone came closer.

"That's the signal for an emergency." Jean said and put his flare gun away. "But I can't imagine they'll understand our intentions just from that." He walked away.

"Armin, we can wait another three minutes. By then, we must decide-" Reiner said.

"I'll stay." Armin replied firmly, taking Reiner by surprise. "But there's something I want you to tell them for me. Preferably to Commander Erwin alone."

"No, Armin. You should tell him yourself." Reiner said, looking at the distance.

Jean and Armin followed his gaze.

"Looks like someone's coming." Jean said with a hopeful expression. "And with a extra horse too."

"That's Christa!" Armin said.

Soon, Christa met approached them. "Are everyone okay?"

"Oh, It's my horse." Jean said, walking towards it.