27. Soilder

AUTHOR'S POV:

Connie stood before the Titan with disabled legs, holding some logs in his arms.

"Connie!" Reiner yelled, running up to him. "Are there any survivors?"

"No..." Connie replied as tears poured down his cheeks. "None at all." He continued to stare at the Titan. "It's all over... My hometown..." His voice wavered. "It's gone forever."

Reiner appeared to be affected by his words and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder while Bertolt watched cautiously.

"Hey!" Gelgar said, joining them with Lynne behind him. "Something's strange here." He looked around. "Has anyone seen any bodies around?"

Connie shook his head.

"No..." Reiner replied.

"I haven't." Bertolt said.

"How is that even possible?" Gelgar said and looked to his side. "Titans come and not even a single-"

"Everyone must have escaped!" Lynne said, smiling. "It means nobody was eaten here. Including your family, too."

"I see... That's gotta be it." Connie replied.

"Yeah. It's unbelievable to think Titans ate everyone without leaving blood behind." Lynne said.

Gelgar didn't appear convinced. 'That's not all that's unbelievable. If the entire village was really evacuated, why would Titans obliterate these houses with nobody in them? But what really boggles my mind is the stables.'
.

The stables were full of horse.
.

'If they tried to escape without horses, their chances of survival would be slim.' Gelgar turned to face the others.

"Everyone got their torches? Let's move." Gelgar said and took off. "Our mission now is to assess the breach in the Wall!"

Everyone aside from Connie immediately followed him.

"Yes, sir!" Reiner said.

Slowly, Connie followed. He untied his horse and climbed up.

"Wel... come... home..." The titan on Connie's house said.

Connie glanced over at the Titan, surprised. "Just now..."

Suddenly and loudly, Reiner shook him.  "Connie, hurry up! We're falling behind Gelgar!"

Connie looked at him. "Reiner? Did you hear that? That Titan just-"

"I didn't hear anything at all!" Reiner responded strongly. "Enough with the chit-chat. Focus on the mission."

"But it... I think..." Connie struggled to find the words. "I don't know how, but... I think... My mom..."

"Connie! Do you understand the situation we're in?!" Reiner screamed, his head bowed slightly, eyes squeezed shut. "Hundreds of thousands of lives depend on whether we complete this mission or not! Your family might have escaped but it's not over yet! If you're a soldier, put the mission first!" That said, his horse took off running.

"Yeah... Good point." Connie said, determined. He snapped the reins and his horse neighed. "He's absolutely right!"
.

__________________________________________

7 Hours After the Titan Spotting
___________________________________________

5 scouts were on their way to the west.