Power and Respect

“Will Satan and Lucifer be joining us for this meeting?” Asmodeus asked Mammon as all three of them walked down the corridor and around towards the meeting room.

 Mammon shrugged. “I don’t know, it wasn’t my job to inform them of it.”

“If they weren’t informed, they will be highly upset when they find out about the meeting.” Asmodeus said.

Mammon grinned. “Then let’s hope they never do.” He said as they finally reached the meeting room doors. “But don’t worry; knowing them they would probably already be on their way here only because they had a flash of intuition.” He added pushing open the doors.

“True.” Asmodeus agreed. “Let’s just hope that when they do arrive they aren’t in a killing mood.” Asmodeus said walking into the room that held everyone except Satan and Lucifer.

“Hey.” Evelyn said, tugging on the hand Asmodeus still held.

“Yes?” He asked, stopping by the huge bay windows and looking down at her.

“Why would Satan and Lucifer want to kill you guys?” Evelyn asked.

“Do you remember that explanation I gave you about demon society and respect?” He asked.

Evelyn nodded. “Yeah.”

“They could see us having a meeting without them as a form of disrespect and a sign of major dissension.” Asmodeus said. “And that would make them very very angry.”

“Okay. But wouldn’t it be unwise to attack you guys. I mean they are each one of the seven rulers of hell, but isn’t five against two bad odds?”

Asmodeus chuckled mirthlessly. “Even though the seven rulers are usually the most powerful demons, Satan and Lucifer are a cut above the rest of us.”

“I don’t understand.” Evelyn said.

Asmodeus sighed. “As we get older, we demons gain advantages. More power is one, greater and more refined skills are another. The older you are the more time you have to test the limits of your powers, even as those powers grow, you also learn more tricks. You simply become that much harder to kill. Satan and Lucifer are of an unfathomable age. They are so old and powerful that even with five to two odds, to fight them would be suicide.” He said.

“Damn.” Evelyn said.

“Yes indeed.”  

“Okay, let’s get started on coming up with ways to protect our citizens during the ball.” Leviathan said.

 “How about some security?” Mammon asked.

“That’s already a given.” Leviathan said. “We need something that won’t be immediately thought of by the rebels and thus circumvented.”

“If that is your desire, then I would suggest we ask Satan and Lucifer when they arrive.”  Beelzebub said.

Just then the door swung open and slammed against the walls and in walked Satan and Lucifer as if they were summoned by the mention of their name.

“Speak of the devil.” Evelyn said under her breath. Asmodeus squeezed her hand once in warning.

“You didn’t start the meeting without us, did you?” Lucifer asked in a voice so quiet it sent chills down Evelyn’s spine.

“No, we were merely standing around and waiting for you to grace us with your presence.” Leviathan snapped.

“Careful Envy.” A soft but lethal order from Lucifer. “You’re approaching a line there’s no coming back from.”

Suddenly the tension in the air rocketed up until it was almost a palpable presence in the room.

“So, do you two have any suggestions on some undetectable protection for our people?” Belphegor asked in an attempt to diffuse the tension.

Lucifer never took his eyes off Leviathan. “Of course we do.” He said.

“There will be traps laid, that will alert us to any possible attacks and have a very unpleasant said effect for those who are trying to attack.” Satan said.

“Not that they would make it very far into our territory anyway.” Lucifer said.

“They did before.” Leviathan said.

Lucifer shot her a feral smile. “Don’t remind me.” He said.

“Do our precautions satisfy you or do we require more?”  Satan asked her.

Leviathan narrowed her eyes at him. “Soldiers dressed as civilians mingling with the crowd looking for any suspicious behavior, on the off chance that someone had managed to get past your defenses.” She said.

“Done.”  Satan said. “Is that all?” He didn’t wait for an answer, turning around. “Good.” He said Lucifer and him walking towards the door and leaving.

“Well that was productive.” Belphegor said. “But now that it’s finished I’ll be on my way.” He said also leaving the room.

Beelzebub didn’t say a word to anyone; he simply walked out the room.

The remaining three demons and Evelyn left the room in unison.

They hadn’t walked very far before Leviathan stopped, turned towards a corner and narrowed her eyes. Little sparks of amber light suddenly appearing in them. There was a sudden thud that sounded suspiciously like a body hitting a wall and Leviathan walked around the corner.

Curious Evelyn followed her, dragging Asmodeus along. Mammon continued to walk along the path they were all walking on, completely uninterested in the drama that was unfolding.

Evelyn turned the corner to Leviathan standing over Vassago who was lying down on the ground.

“Well, well. Look what the cat dragged in.” Leviathan said circling Vassago before finally stopping in front of her, with her back to Evelyn and Asmodeus. “Did you come to try and get a glimpse of what you could never be?” Leviathan asked her.

Evelyn glimpsed a flash of fear on Vassago’s face before it was covered by a mask of cool arrogance as she stood up. “No I merely was observing my future co-rulers since I soon will replace you, after all you aren’t that powerful. The only reason you managed to become a ruler at all is because someone felt sorry for you. After all you are a weak little demon who couldn’t even protect her own family.” Vassago said with her chin held high, looking down at Leviathan, daring her to do something.

Leviathan went completely still and suddenly Vassago slammed into the wall twenty feet away as an unseen force sent her flying and pressed into the wall while steadily adding pressure forcing her into the wall before finally releasing her allowing Vassago to slide down the wall.

Leviathan walked over to Vassago’s prone form with all the grace and fluidity of a big cat stalking its prey. Once she had neared her she kneeled down and forced Vassago to look up at her while she stared down at her with cold, merciless green eyes. “Even though you believe me to be weak, never forget that I am the Demon of Envy which makes me infinitely more powerful than you.” Leviathan said, running a hand down Vassago’s face. “Now how shall I make sure you always remember this fact.”

Vassago’s voice reflected the fear on her face, even though she tried to hide it. “You can’t hurt me. Asmodeus won’t let you, right?” She said, turning her fearful eyes towards Asmodeus.

Leviathan let out a chilling laugh. “I need no permission to do anything, I do as I please. But we shall hear what Asmodeus has to say. Asmodeus?” She said without turning around.

“I’ve no desire to save you Vassago. And besides since you believe yourself more powerful the Leviathan I’ll give you the opportunity to prove yourself.” Asmodeus said to her shocked and fearful face. And, without showing the slightest bit of concern for Vassago, he turned and using his hold on Evelyn’s hand to pull her around the corner, leaving Vassago to her fate. They hadn’t walked very far before the screams started.