Prepare to Depart

New Chapter yay, and to the side is a song that a fan told me reminded me of Beautiful Monster

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“So tired.” Evelyn said as she opened the door to Asmodeus’s room and stepped inside. Evelyn turned to face the bed and would have run toward it and jump onto it but she simply didn’t have the energy to do so, so she had to settle for slowly walking towards the bed and, when she reached it, collapsing onto it and closing her eyes.

When Evelyn opened her eyes she was not where she expected herself to be, but she could come up with no reason for the inexplicable feeling. Evelyn heard the rustle of dried leaves under her head as she turned from the sight of glimpses of blood red sky between the towering gnarled trees of the forest to look for source of the sounds of clashing steel that has been echoing around the forest since the moment she opened her eyes.

Seeing nothing Evelyn got up and slowly walked towards the source of the sound until she reached a clearing where at least two dozen fighters came at each other spraying blood across the field while a large bonfire blazed in the middle, throwing the combatants into light and shadow and glinting off metal.

Evelyn watched the scene with an odd sort of detachment but a creeping feeling of dread until a flash of blond hair so light it appeared blond streaked across her vision. Evelyn searched until she found the hair and the person it was attached to. Asmodeus moved through the field with his bloody sword, slicing anyone that got in his way and spraying blood onto his pristine white clothes and white-blond hair.

Evelyn watched frozen as the men formed a circle around Asmodeus and as Asmodeus fought the ones in front of him, one behind him raised his arm and prepared to drive his sword into Asmodeus’s head.

Evelyn jerked awoke when the bed dipped as Asmodeus sat down.

Evelyn turned and stared at him with wide-eyes. Asmodeus raised his eyebrow and returned Evelyn’s look with a question in his eyes.

Evelyn shook her head and rubbed her eyes. “Did you finish preparing the troops?”

“Mostly.” Asmodeus said.

“What more do you need to do?”

“Well first I need to sit with Mammon and make contingency plans in case something goes wrong and then-“

Evelyn immediately sat up. “Why do you think you need to do that? Do you think something will go wrong?” Evelyn spoke rapidly and stumbled over her words.

“Of course I believe everything will go smoothly.” Asmodeus said, as he made his voice smooth and calming, and pushed Evelyn to lie back down on the bed while watching her carefully. “But it doesn’t hurt to prepare for the worst.”

Evelyn took a deep breath and nodded her head.

Asmodeus continued to observe Evelyn. “If I didn’t know any better I would say you know something I don’t.”

Evelyn thought about telling Asmodeus about her dream but quickly discarded the idea. “Of course I don’t. It’s just that this sounds extremely dangerous, you’re going to a place to face enemies that you guys haven’t been able to defeat yet.” By the end of her speech Evelyn was looking down at her hands that were squeezing each other.

Asmodeus grabbed Evelyn’s face brought it up until she looked into his eyes. "As I keep telling you, this is exactly why I’m heading out there. We’ve eliminated their spy and will be sending out a force they won’t be expecting. We will win, do you believe?”

Evelyn nodded, even though the dread from the dream still lingering in her veins.

“Good.” Asmodeus lightly kissed her lips before he let go of her head and stood up. “Now before you hurt yourself worrying, let’s head out.” He extended his right hand to Evelyn.