Am I Forgiven Yet?

Evelyn was staring at golden titles written in a kind of script on spines of leather bound books that were in a language that she could never hope to understand when a pair of arms wrapped around her waist and Asmodeus rested his head on her shoulder.

Determined to ignore him, no matter how impossible it seemed, she continued to stare at the spines.

“Still upset?” Asmodeus asked her.

Evelyn didn’t dignify his question with a response.

“I’ll take that as a yes.”  He said. “But how will reading titles in a language you don’t understand help you calm down?”

Still angry, and his comment not helping any, Evelyn took a book off the shelf and threw it over her shoulder towards Asmodeus’s head.

Asmodeus snatched the book out the air almost as soon as it left her hand. Evelyn used this opportunity to escape the circle of his arms and put some distance between them when he moved to catch the book.

“Superior reflexes.” Asmodeus said, waving the book.

Evelyn scowled at him.

“Did that help calm you down?” Asmodeus asked, placing the book back on the shelf.

Evelyn glared at him. “No.” She said, crossing her arms. “A little warning would have been nice.”

Asmodeus rolled his eyes. “And if I had known you were planning on turning around and walking head first into a door I would have been more than happy to.”

“You still didn’t have to laugh so hard.” Evelyn mumbled.

Asmodeus’s lips twitched as he tried to suppress a smile. “I’m sorry.” He said his voice at odds with his statement since he sounded too amused to be contrite. “But that was very amusing.” He added, now smiling out right.

Evelyn went back to glaring at him.

Asmodeus walked over to Evelyn and put his hands on the sides of her face and forced her to look up at him. “Am I forgiven?” He asked softly, looking down at her.

Evelyn felt her shoulder relax against her will as her anger slowly slipped away. “Whatever.” She mumbled breaking eye contact.

Asmodeus brushed his lips against hers. “Thank you.” He said, straightening up. “Now let’s go over to Belphegor and find out what he’s actually doing in a library.” He added wrapping an arm around her waist and guiding her towards the center of the library.

As the couple approached Belphegor, who was sitting at a large wooden table that could have been a dining room table for a royal family, he looked up from the pile of open books surrounding him as soon as he heard their footsteps.

“Aw, the couple returns.” He teased. “Did you guys kiss and make up?”

Asmodeus chuckled while Evelyn turned bright red.

“Shut up.” She told him, causing him to chuckle.

“So what are you doing in a library?” Asmodeus asked him.

Belphegor shrugged. “I just decided to follow your example and see what little nuggets of wisdom could be gleaned from these books.” He said.

“And how is that working out for you?” Asmodeus asked, taking one of the many chairs surrounding the table with Evelyn following his lead and taking a seat as well.

Belphegor made a face. “It’s boring.” He said, slamming the book in front of him shut. “All that’s in here is boring old man talking about the good ole days when you stuck your victims’ heads on pikes to ward off your enemies.”