The Seven Deadly Sins

Evelyn was gazing at a painting on the wall when Asmodeus walked into her field of vision. She looked up and said "Finished with your meeting already."

            "Yes, we can leave now." Asmodeus replied, grabbing hold of her arm and leading her towards the doors.

            "Lust." A curt female voice called.

            "Yes, envy." Asmodeus replied, turning around, and Evelyn did the same to see Leviathan walking towards them.

            "You have been neglecting your duties, and I've been forced to pick up your slack. You cannot keep running off to the human world whenever you feel like it." Leviathan said, glaring at him.

            "I must apologize; I will make it up to you. I promise."

            "You better." And with one last glare Leviathan stepped around them and walked through the doors.

            "Come one." Asmodeus said, pulling Evelyn along

            After walking for about a minute or so in silence Evelyn had to ask about what was eating away at her since the scene between Asmodeus and Leviathan.

            "What was that back there? 'Lust', 'Envy'. What is with those names? Do they stand for the feelings you inspire in each other?"She questioned, feeling an inexplicable angry rising in her.

            "Why do you ask?" Asmodeus asked, smiling down at her. "Jealous?"

            "No." Evelyn replied, scowling, but feeling heat rise in her cheeks, betraying her.

            Asmodeus laughed. "No need to be jealous, we call each other what we represent. We, the seven rulers of hell, represent the seven deadly sins."

             "The seven deadly sins?" She repeated.

            "Yes, I represent lust. Leviathan represents envy. Mammon is avarice, or greed. Beelzebub is gluttony. Belphegor represents sloth. Satan represent wrath, and lastly Lucifer represents pride."

            "Pride, huh." Evelyn said as she thought about whether or not each demon matched their respective sin.

            "Yes, 'Pride cometh before destruction and a haughty spirit before the fall."  Asmodeus quoted as he brought Evelyn to a stop in front of his door.

            "Where is that from?" Evelyn asked

            "The Bible."

            "The Bible?" she repeated, shocked.

            "Yes, I have a lot of free time to read on my hands." He replied shrugging

            "Yeah, but, the Bible?!?"

            "Why not the Bible, it's not as if it burns or anything."

            "Really, so the Holy Bible doesn't hurt you at all?" Evelyn questioned, suddenly curious.

            "No." He confirmed. "Nor do any other Holy relics." He added

            "Not even Holy water."

            "No, all that would do is make me wet." He stated.

            "That's what she said." Evelyn said, laughing.

            Asmodeus looked down at her, gave her a look, turned away, shook his head and walked off into his room.

"Hey come on, that was funny." Evelyn cried, following hm.

            His only response was to shake his head again.