Better Now Rather Than Later

School, senior year, enough said *drops mic and walks away*

=========================================

“I see you’ve gotten faster.” Leviathan said after Evelyn had scrambled away from her after had almost Leviathan had almost succeeded in separating Evelyn’s head from her body.

“It appears I have.” Leviathan brought her sword down at an angle as Evelyn stepped to the right of sword and it plunged halfway into the ground. As Leviathan pulled it out Evelyn raised her leg and tired to deliver a kick to Leviathan’s head.

Leviathan grabbed Evelyn’s head before it made contact with her head. “But not fast enough.” She said as Evelyn tried to pull her leg free. Leviathan released Evelyn’s leg and before her leg touched the ground Leviathan brought her own leg up, pivoted and delivered a roundhouse kick to Evelyn’s ribs. “And that is how you deliver a proper kick.” Leviathan stated as Evelyn rolled across the dirt floor and stopped on all floors.

“Damn it.” Evelyn slammed her fist on the ground and grabbed her right side. “I think you broke my ribs.” Evelyn glared up at Leviathan, as she lazily made her way over to Evelyn, from her position on the floor.

“Pain builds character.” Leviathan said, standing over her.

“Not during a battle, then pain would just make me lose.”

“I fought with a broken leg before and came out victorious.” Leviathan shrugged as Evelyn got to her feet with a grimace.

Evelyn looked at her with a complete expression of bewilderment. “Why?”

“I wanted to win.”

“But why did you want to win so badly?”

Leviathan took a few steps backwards. “Because it was a fight for life and to lose was to die. This will probably be the circumstances you would face every time you fight so you can’t let a little thing like pain stop you.” Leviathan lifted her hand and beckoned Evelyn forward. “So come little birdie, show me what you got.”

Evelyn narrowed her eyes and removed her hand from her side. “Fine.” Evelyn said through gritted teeth. She tightened her grip on her knife and took a deep breath, wincing as the movement sent a bolt of pain lancing through her ribs, then slowly started to circle Leviathan. 

Leviathan watched Evelyn circling her with the gaze of a predator and a smile on her face before suddenly appearing in front of Evelyn and aimed a kick towards her ribs, the same ones that she had damaged before. But Evelyn was able to twist her body out of the way so Leviathan’s foot sailed right past her.

Leviathan steadied herself as she lost balance because of the force of her kick and brought her leg back. As Leviathan’s leg passed her, Evelyn brought down her knife and attempted to slice upon Leviathan’s calf but to Evelyn’s shock Leviathan brought her leg up, towards the knife, and kicked it out of Evelyn’s hand. Evelyn watched the knife sail through the air and land on the dirt before turning back around to look at Leviathan. Leviathan flashed her a grin as she brought her leg back down and lifted her sword. Evelyn’s eyes widened and she dived for the floor as Leviathan tried to run her through with her sword. Leviathan managed to cut Evelyn’s shirt but didn’t pierce the skin.