Survival

An arm shot out and grabbed Evelyn by the hair as she ran down the hall.

            “Here is the little errant puppy.” Evelyn heard Leviathan say as she twisted around to face her with watery eyes.

            “Ouch, I was heading towards you, and could you let go of my hair, goddamn it, it hurts.” Evelyn said and then winced as Leviathan tightened her grip on Evelyn’ hair.

            “You know I don’t think I will, and since I have this pup by the scruff I think I shall lead it to where I need it to go since I had to waste valuable time searching for it.” Leviathan said and then turned around pulled Evelyn behind her.

            “Ow, ow, ow and the scruff is actually the back of the neck so you’re wrong.” Evelyn mumbled under her breath and winced as Leviathan pulled harder on her head.

            “I apologize.” Leviathan said insincerely and they went from one white corridor to another.

            Evelyn scowled but thought it best to keep quiet but studying the intricate patterns that lined the floor could only hold Evelyn’s interest for so long. She soon grew bored and to distract herself from the dull throbbing in her head she decided to ask questions.

            “So why is it so necessary that I learn to fight right at this moment?” Evelyn asked as they went from smooth tile to compact earth.

            “I’m not quite sure.” Leviathan said hesitantly, “But I do that it is paramount that you know how to defend yourself.” Leviathan finished as let go of Evelyn’s hair, and walked over to an old wooden table that was at the edge of the ring that made up the center of the Colosseum.

            Evelyn was sure that table wasn’t there the last time she was here but decided not to comment on it, instead, trying to rub away the pain in her head, asked. “So are can you see the future or something?”

            Leviathan reached the table and picked up a sword and that’s when Evelyn realized the table was full of weapons. “No, that unfortunately is not within the scope of my powers. It is more of a knowing that anything else.”

            “Oh yeah, and does your knowing tell you how super important me learning how to fight is?” Evelyn asked from the entrance.

            Leviathan placed down the sword she was examining and picked up a small dagger. “Life or death.” Leviathan spun the dagger in her hand before she turned to face Evelyn. “More specifically yours.” Leviathan smiled sarcastically at the shocked look on Evelyn’s face. “That put things into perspective for you?”

            Evelyn tried to soothe her suddenly dry throat. “How? Why?” She asked, still shocked.

            Leviathan stopped twirling the dagger. “I’ve already told you that I can’t see the future, the only thing I know is what I have already told you.” Leviathan said as she placed the dagger back on the table and picked up another weapon all without turning around.

            “So what are we going to do?” Evelyn asked, taking a few hesitant steps further into the Colosseum.

            “Now we are going to practice the art of keeping you alive.” Leviathan said walking towards Evelyn. “And while I was out searching for you, I dropped into your room and picked something up.” Leviathan tossed the weapon at Evelyn, who managed to catch it before it smacked her in the face.

            “Ah, it’s my Tantō knife.” Evelyn exclaimed as she pulled the weapon out of its sheath.

            Leviathan stopped in front of Evelyn. “Yes it is, and that knife will be attached to you for every waking moment from now on.” 

            Evelyn took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and looked up at Leviathan. “Okay.”

            Leviathan smiled. “Good.” Leviathan grabbed the back of Evelyn’s shirt. “Training starts now.” She said and then threw Evelyn across the Colosseum to crash into the table full of weapons, scattering them.

            “Ow, ow, ow.” Evelyn mutters as she slowly got to her feet.

            Leviathan suddenly appeared before her. “You’re going to have to be faster than that.” Leviathan said as she grabbed Evelyn and threw her again.

            A sharp pain went through Evelyn’s side as she hit the wall and slid down. Evelyn just sat down and took breaths that hurt with every movement, with the knife clutched in her grip. When Leviathan’s feet appeared in Evelyn’s field of vision Evelyn scrambled away, wincing when the sharp movements caused even more pain to stab through her side, while making sure she kept Leviathan within her sight at all times.

            Leviathan watched Evelyn without and expression on her face, and then she smiled. “Good, you can learning.” She started to walk towards Evelyn. “But you are going to have to do more than simply run away.”

            “Well at least give me a chance to catch my breath and get to my feet.” Evelyn said as she continued to crawl away.

            Leviathan sighed but stopped walking. “Tell me who, when they are trying so desperately to end your life, would give you a chance to ‘catch your breath’.”

            Evelyn slowly got to her feet holding her side. “I don’t know, but you should.”

            “My dear child I’m trying to teach how to survive not wrap you up and protect you from the horrors of the world.” Leviathan said.

            Evelyn scowled. “Can you at least avoid killing me in the process of teaching me how to survive?”

            “I’ll see what I can do.” Leviathan said and then lifted her eyebrows. “So have you caught your breath yet?”

            Evelyn grimaced, carefully set her feet apart, and after making sure she had a solid grip in the knife hesitantly nodded.

            “Good.” Leviathan said, and then she was gone.

            Evelyn immediately dropped to the floor and tried to roll away but a foot landed on her back and kept her pinned to ground.

            “Better.” Leviathan said as Evelyn tried breath the stabbing pain in her side. “But what did I tell you about running away?” She added as Evelyn carefully started to unsheathe her knife.

            “I don’t know something about not doing it?” Evelyn wheezed as she finished unsheathing the knife

            “Ah, she listens too.” Leviathan said and then Evelyn moved a little to side and drove the knife towards Leviathan’s leg.

            The heavy weight immediately disappeared from her back and Evelyn rolled over to see Leviathan standing several feet away.

            “And look she can even do what I say as well.” Leviathan said.

            Evelyn grimaced and slowly got to her feet, feeling her side scream in agony all the way up. “I guess even I am capable of learning.” Evelyn managed to say as she held her knife with one hand and her side with the other.

            Leviathan shrugged. “Perhaps, so shall we continue?”

            Evelyn took a deep breath and then winced. “What would happen if I said no?”

         Leviathan smiled. “Then I would say too bad.” And then she moved.