Chapter 2

Debu stormed into the kitchen angrily. "Lapis, there's literally no room on the shelf, your stuff is all over it! Can you consider cleaning every once in a while?" he snarled.

"Well, I work almost all day, so I don't exactly have the time for that. And maybe you should consider paying rent every once in a while?" Lapis replied.

"Why would I help you pay rent if you're taking up all my space? This is practically your house now!" the coyote growled angrily.

"Your space? Maybe you should consider buying your own shelf with all that money you've been saving, all the money that should be participating in this apartment's rent?" Lapis snapped back.

"I would pay more rent if you weren't always like this, leaving messes everywhere." Debu muttered.

"Well, I'll put my belongings wherever I want if you won't participate in the rent." the protogen replied. This worthless argument stretched on for hours and hours.

Eventually, it was over, along with the night. And the rays of the morning sun slowly climbed over the distant hills, creeping into the apartment's window and casting light into the silent room. The lime green curtains tinted the color of the splotches of sunlight dancing inside of the room. A gentle knock echoed through the air as Lapis began to exit the dream world and drift back into reality. At first she thought the knock was in her head, until she heard it again. She turned her head to look at the time, and her clock read "10:30". The protogen jumped out of bed, fearing she had slept in. She quickly ran to her door, looked through the peephole and saw two of her friends; Emerald who was a tan pelted jackal with patches of green, and Kivuli, a brown and white pelted protogen. Lapis opened the door and greeted them. "Hey, Lapis, you wanna come on a walk with us? Also, what in the world is that smell, it's disgusting, have you noticed it?" Emerald questioned.

"Oh yeah, I've been noticing that smell too, I'm going to try to fix it soon. And sure, I'd love to go on a walk!" Lapis replied.

"Yay! But wait, where's Debu?" Kivula asked.

"Oh..." Lapis frowned. "I-I'll tell you on the walk." Kivuli looked concerned but just nodded while Emerald stood in silence. They then exited the apartment room with Lapis following close behind.

The three wandered through the sandy trail, sweeping clouds of dust off of the path with each step they took. The warm morning air gently weaved through the landscape, and all was silent and peaceful. But of course, that silence and peace had to be shattered eventually. "So, where is your roommate?" Emerald finally built up the courage to ask, releasing quite a bit of tension.

Lapis sighed and then hesitantly murmured "Well... he went missing. I have no idea where he went, I just woke up last night and he was gone. This is all happening so fast, everyone is just disappearing, and now Debu is one of them."

Emerald was speechless, but Kivuli replied "Lapis, that must have been terrifying, I'm so sorry you had to go through that, I hope he's alright." Kivuli sighed, putting an arm around Lapis's shoulder in attempt to comfort her.

"I-it's okay, it's just something we'll have to get used to around here." Lapis murmured after a few seconds of silence. That silence continued for almost a minute after she had spoken.

"Well, wanna talk about something a bit lighter to keep this off our minds?" Kivuli questioned. Lapis and Emerald both nodded, and then they continued down the trail.