Chapter 10

Kivuli lay in her bed restlessly. She just couldn't manage to fall asleep, no matter how hard she tried. The protogen couldn't help but feel a strange, unsettling, yet... familiar aura. It hung in the area, and nothing could make it go away. Kivuli could feel a sharp sting in her chest when she figured out that the aura was nearly identical to the one she had felt in her reoccurring nightmares. But deep down she knew that she had also felt a small hint of that aura before her dreams; somewhere else. She suddenly felt a shiver through her body, although that shiver was accompanied by the burning summer heat surrounding her, as if she was suffocating in the blankets of her bed. Her paw itched, and Kivuli finally had enough. She stood up out of bed and pushed the door open, making her way into the kitchen. She swung the cupboard open and grasped her paw around a tall glass, bringing it down to the sink. She turned the water on, careful not to wake Emerald who was sleeping on a sofa in the living room.

After drinking the water and feeling a bit cooler, Kivuli returned to her room and lay down as she was greeted by the warm sheets once again, but she didn't even care at this point.

Minutes later, Kivuli was beginning to drift off, however that peace was disturbed when she heard a shuffling coming from somewhere nearby. In her nearly subconscious state, Kivuli just dismissed it as Emerald and proceeded to attempt to sleep.

Again, Kivuli found herself awake. She couldn't handle the heat and decided to grab an ice pack and slide it under her pillow. But as she tried to stand, her body followed with absolutely no response, and that horrible aura was getting stronger. Kivuli felt another sharp sting in her chest, but this time it felt stronger as the door began to creak. It opened, revealing a familiar figure, but in Kivuli's sleepy daze, she couldn't for the sake of her recall where she had seen the figure before. The edges of the silhouette were illuminated by the silver moonlight seeping through the window as it stepped closer to Kivuli. As much terror as the protogen felt, she could also feel a sense of calm, and even... devotion while watching the silhouette. The intruder then pulled pulled out a razor sharp kitchen knife as they stood over their victim menacingly. Aware that she could not move, Kivuli let out a soft breath in hopes to calm herself, and she had to admit that she very shocked that she wasn't more concerned about this figure standing over her, considering that for all she knew, that was the serial killer themself. The figure sat down on the bed, placing their paw onto Kivuli's shoulder. A twisted sense on calm washed over the protogen as she lay there, gazing deep into the killer's eyes. The figure placed their paw in front of their face, creating a hushing signal. Kivuli could feel the killer's tail brush gently against her body as they pressed the knife against her throat, the other hand still resting on her shoulder. Another rush ran through her. Kivuli closed her eyes as she accepted her fate, though in a blink of the eye, the killer had disappeared. The room was still and quiet. Kivuli had experienced nothing more than sleep paralysis.