Chapter 3

The mall was almost entirely empty. The air was warm and still. The lights were flicked off, making the moonlight the only thing to dimly light the building, as well as the beam of two flash lights that occasionally scanned by, patrolling the mall. The only sound that could be heard were the footsteps of two security guards, working the night shift to make sure that the mall was safe. Considering the amount of crime in the city at these times, this was no simple task and required a ton of courage.

One security guard made his way to a small clothing shop within the mall. He passed by a rectangular pool of water, connecting to a fountain. Through the corner of his eye, the security guard noticed that something had changed. Something had...shifted. It was as if a shadow had been hanging over the reflection and then it suddenly fled, causing the pool to be fully lit by the moonlight once again, seeping down from the window high above. This shocked the security guard, though he simply dismissed it as his mind playing tricks on him — after all, it was late, in fact it was midnight. He directed the flashlight to the clothing store, illuminating the interior. He could see his reflection in the window and he appeared to be alone. To him, this confirmed that his mind was just playing tricks on him when he first saw the shadow. He sighed in relief and felt the tension leave him as the he entered the clothing shop. The security guard was suddenly shocked again and before he knew it, he was drowning in fear, after he thought he had heard a scream come from the upstairs of the mall; last time he checked, his coworker was heading toward that area. The security guard began to panic. What did his coworker find? Or... what happened to his coworker? The guard reached for the gun on his belt, though the panic intensified when his hand was met with nothing but air. He cursed under his breathe, then thought to himself. I must have dropped it somewhere... I-I have to find it! The security guard immediately fled the shop, retracing his steps as fast as he could, while attempting to as silent as possible. He remembered that when he first began patrolling, he searched one of the upstairs bathrooms. The other bathroom further to the left was the one that his coworker was investigating, where he heard the scream. The guard sighed and then decided to get the task over with as quick as possible, hoping that the scream was also in his mind and that he would bump in to his coworker while on the search.

Eventually, he made his way to the bathroom, though he couldn't help but feel he was being followed the whole entire time. The security guard ignored this. Bad idea. However, this fear was getting harder to ignore as he heard the toilet flush for the fifth time before he began searching, and he could most certainly not ignore the scent of fresh blood drifting through the air, from the far bathroom. The guard was horrified but knew that if he just found and snatched back his gun, he could fight back whatever caused the scent of the blood. He rushed into the bathroom to the right and left the door wide open behind him. Bad idea, again. As he searched around, the security guard could hear footsteps coming front the left bathroom. The flushing had completely stopped a few minutes ago, though the scent of fresh blood just got stronger by the second. Before the guard knew it, he had a deep wound in his chest that immediately began to sting, after a slim silhouette flashed before his eyes. The guard began to uncontrollably hyperventilate as the blood began to poor from his wound. And then, it all turned black. It was the end.

A killer slowly stalked toward his body, making sure that the guard was dead. This killer then pulled out a butcher's knife that they had been carrying through the mall; a butcher's knife that was stained with blood; blood from two security guards, both alive and breathing only thirty minutes ago, one even alive and breathing only seconds ago. The killer began chopping up the body parts of the security guard into small segments before flushing them down the toilet one by one until the entire corpse was no longer there.

Now all the killer had to do was wipe up the blood and spray a bit of perfume in the bathrooms to mask up the fowl scent. They would get away with these murders. And even if the parts were found, there would be too many people to find the exact killer.

Two. Two more down, and more to come...