Chapter 6

The three friends wandered down the trail that they usually took for the morning walk. As usual, the morning was mostly quiet, and the sun shone lightly through the lime green leaves, tinting the area with vibrant colours. The red sand that littered the ground was warm and soft at the moment, but by the afternoon, it was guaranteed to be blazing hot, after being left laying in the sunlight for hours. Well, except for the blotches that were protected by the shadows dancing upon the floor of the trail. But currently, it seemed like the best time of day to wander this trail, not too hot and not too cold. That was the exact reason why the friends decided to walk here. "Too bad we couldn't go to the mall today." Emerald sighed as she took a step forward.

"Yeah, but it's probably a good thing that they shut it down for now, I mean the security guards just seemed to disappear, who knows what could happen to the people in it?" Lapis protested.

"Yeah, I guess." Emerald agreed. "What do you think about the matter, Kivuli?"

Kivuli was being kind of silent, and seemed disconnected from the conversation. Suddenly, she snapped back to reality. "Sorry, what?" She questioned.

"Uhh, what do you think about the mall being shut down?" Emerald repeated, this time a little bit louder and clearer.

"Oh, uh, I think it's pretty good that they shut it down, after the security guards went missing. I mean, it's sad they disappeared, considering they were just trying to do their job." the protogen murmured. Emerald nodded. Both of the friends immediately picked up on the fact that something was going on with Kivuli, as she was usually a major part of the conversation. She seemed disconnected, as if she were drifting. Something bigger had stolen her attention, something that her mind just couldn't quite grasp.

The rest of the day continued just like this. Kivuli was slow to answer texts, she was never really a part of the conversation, and she always seemed on edge. Emerald and Lapis assumed that it was the news of everyone disappearing and there being a possible serial killer that got to her, and yes, that was one of the reasons. However, there were two other reasons why she was acting... different. One that would seem like a pretty big problem, one that also affected Emerald, though Emerald wasn't quite as sensitive as Kivuli, so she was acting just as she would every other day. However, the other problem, for some odd reason made the "big" problem seem very, very small.