Chapter 9

The day had been nearly identical to every other one before it. The trio hung out, but Kivuli was just kind of... there. She barely spoke a word, and at times, Lapis could catch her looking nervous and paranoid. This was beginning to agitate Emerald and Lapis, as they were concerned for Kivuli and just wanted to know what was going on. For some reason, Emerald also seemed stressed at times, but that stress was nothing compared to Kivuli's. The day just flew by to her, she lost track of time, as her thoughts were slowly suffocating her. The weight on Kivuli's shoulders was getting too heavy to bear, but she was also afraid to tell her friends what was actually happening, especially Emerald, as she feared that she would be judged. And just like every other, the day was coming to an end as the sun began to touch the horizon, only to sink deeper down. And just like every other day, the friends had to say their farewells. "I should really be going back to the apartment now, I barely got any sleep yesterday." Emerald sighed.

"H-huh? Oh, uh, okay, expect me there soon. G-goodnight!" Kivuli stuttered nervously.

"Uh, yeah, goodnight." Lapis murmured, waving as Emerald awkwardly nodded and began the walk back home, eventually disappearing behind a building.

"Kivuli, why didn't you want to go with her? I mean, you seem pretty tire-" Lapis froze as Kivuli ran up to her and stuffed her face into the fur of Lapis's chest, nearly collapsing as she began to cry. Although she was very confused, Lapis instinctively wrapped her arms around Kivuli in attempt to comfort her.

"I-I need to talk to you..." Kivuli whimpered silently though tears.

"Of course, you can tell me anything you want." Lapis murmured softly.

"Th-thanks... but can we go somewhere more private? Th-this is personal." Kivuli whispered. Lapis nodded.

Lapis and Kivuli had chosen to speak on a rooftop, where they would not be heard. They both lay down and just watched the sunset. The sky behind it resembled a beautiful blend of orange, yellow, and fuchsia. Soft, raspberry pink clouds dotted the horizon, their edges lit by the golden sun. It was a breathtaking view.

After a moment of silence, Kivuli finally spoke. "I-I've been so stressed lately..." Lapis looked at her with a gentle gaze, signalling that she was paying attention and for her to continue. "Emerald and I... we can barely afford rent for our apartment, I'm worried we won't be able to even... well... have a home, but she handles it so much better than me, I'm so sorry that I've been putting a damper on the mood lately, I've just been so stressed."

"No Kivuli, you don't have to apologize, none of this is your fault," Lapis murmured. "You and Emerald can stay with me, in my apartment."

Kivuli's digital eyes widened. "R-really? You'll let us stay?"

"Of course, it's my pleasure." Lapis murmured with a warm smile.

Kivuli rolled onto her side, giving Lapis a warm, tight hug. Lapis returned one to Kivuli.

After a minute of silence, the mood started to change. It got heavier again, and only seconds later, Kivuli began to speak. "But... the rent isn't the only thing that's been stressing me out..." Lapis gazed at Kivuli, looking concerned. "I've been having these horrible dreams, they just seem so real..."

"Oh no... what happens in them? If your comfortable explaining of course." Lapis questioned.

"Th-there's blood, I swear I can smell death, I can see the corpses of innocent people, a-and there's this horrible presence that haunts me, ever since I've been having those dreams, i-it hasn't left me alone." Kivuli explained as she began to tear up once again.

Lapis tightened her hold on Kivuli in a protective manner, calming her. "Everything will be okay, I'm here for you no matter what. I will always be here for you..." she whispered. Lapis tightened her hold on Kivuli, closing her eyes. She then whispered to Kivuli. "You know, when I was younger, I went through something horrible as well. Please know that you're not alone."

Kivuli all of a sudden seemed surprised. "R-really? What happened? I-I mean, if you're comfortable sharing, could you explain it me? You comforted me, I want to comfort you, I promise I won't tell anyone." Lapis hesitated and then Kivuli quickly spoke up. "Uh, never mind, that was a personal question I'm sorry for asking!"

"No, it's fine. It would be good to get this off of my shoulders anyways, I'm kind of glad you asked," Kivuli looked surprised as Lapis told her this. She began the story.  "When... when I was a kid, I spent many days in an orphanage, like all other protogens before they got found families. One day, a man arrived to the orphanage. He would be my father. At first I believed that I would be sent to a warm, loving home, but no... I couldn't have been more wrong, but my naive, innocent mind couldn't even begin to imagine what was to come. This man didn't adopt me so that I could be his child, he adopted me so that I could be his slave. He forced  me to do everything, all the work in the whole entire property, and if I did one thing wrong he... he would..." Lapis paused, and an expression of terror and suspense was visible on Kivuli's visor, as she awaited what was about to happened next. "My father... he... he physically and verbally abused me... for years..." she paused. "B-but now I'm here, and that's all that matters. Because all that is over, r-right?"

Kivuli's face remained horrified, until she spoke at last. "I-I'm so sorry..." she murmured, holding onto Lapis tighter. "Please, always know... you matter, don't let anyone tell you otherwise... you are everything to me." Lapis stood silent, in absolute awe, she had never felt so loved. They both lay there, gazing at each other, admiration in their eyes. And moments later, Kivuli's gentle voice could be heard. "Lapis?" She whispered.

"Yes?" Lapis replied softly.

After a moment of hesitation, Kivuli sighed "I...I love you."

Lapis gazed at the other protogen, her face displaying deep affection. "Kivuli... I love you too..."