Chapter 12

The friends had spent more time than they had hoped they would at the bar, and it was now almost midnight. They exited the bar into warm, thick night air. "What now?" Emerald questioned.

"I say we take the deserted side of town back home, it's more risky but it's faster and I brought a knife just in case we run into trouble. Plus, we also brought pepper spray." Lapis protested.

"That does seem extremely risky, let's just go back the normal way." Kivuli replied, a slight quiver in her voice.

"It will be fine, I've had experience with having to defend myself before, I can defend us all. And I doubt anyone will be wandering down that street, not even the killer." Lapis explained.

"I'm with Lapis, I think we should take the risk." Emerald replied. Kivuli remained silent and unsure. Lapis stepped forward and held Kivuli's paw, gazing deep into her eyes.

"Come on darling, don't you trust me?" she murmured.

Kivuli nodded as if she were lost in Lapis's eyes. "Yeah... let's go." she finally replied. Lapis nodded and they began making their way back home.

The group was now wandering between two abandon buildings, on the quiet side of the city. Many horrible things had happened here before, and years ago much blood had been spilled on this exact street. But it had settled down a lot over time, and seemed much safer, although the vibe was still very unnerving to say the least. The group was wandering at a fairly quick pace, with Lapis being in the back to make sure nothing bad happened. They all remained quiet in order to keep themselves hidden in case anyone was lurking around this area. Kivuli was at the front of the group, just a few steps in front of Emerald. The protogen could feel herself shaking as she wandered through the dark streets, and she could feel that horrible aura stronger than she ever had before. Kivuli decided to slow her pace a bit so that she could be close to group, and closer to Lapis. Suddenly the protogen heard a bloodcurdling scream coming from behind her, but before the could react, she felt a stabbing pain in the back of her head as a sharp object flew into it. She let out a scream and felt herself losing balance as a warm crimson liquid trickled down her neck. That was the moment it all went black.