Chapter 11

It had been just over a month since Kivuli experienced sleep paralysis. It was around mid July, and several more civilians had gone missing; most likely murdered, but it seemed impossible for even the most skilled detectives to track down the killer, who just seemed to be too clever. Most business in the city had gone on hiatus, locking the doors until the killer was to be found. The news of this sociopath was spreading all around the world, and it was estimated that at least one person would disappear a week, most likely due to this killer. And if only one disappeared a week, the city was lucky, as it was usually more than that. Civilians were demanded by law to always carry pepper spray or some sort of weapon when going out alone, and many houses installed security systems.

This was not the only thing that was new; Kivuli and Emerald had finally moved in with Lapis, who thankfully managed to get rid of that horrible stench that Emerald was complaining about in the past. That made things a lot easier.

"Lapis is taking so long at work, wanna go on a walk or something?" Emerald suggested as she lay plumped down on the couch.

"Sure, but let's make sure to bring things for defence in case anything happens!" Kivuli reminded.

Emerald nodded as she stood up from the sofa and entered the kitchen. She knelt down to the cupboard below the sink and pulled out a bottle of pepper spray. "Eh, this should do. If we die, we die. Better than being bored out of our minds in this boiling apartment."

"Yeah, these guys really need to install AC." Kivuli chuckled before following her friend out of the door.

The friends had made it half way through the walk when Kivuli received a text. "Lapis is back and she says she's got dinner under control!"

"Great, I'm starving. Let's hurry up." Emerald replied.

"Okay, and plus, the sun is going to start to set soon which will make it hard to see certain... threats." Kivuli murmured.

"You're scared of the killer being out here? Come on, try to stop being so paranoid for once." Emerald mocked.

"Well, it's just, you never kno- actually yeah, that was kind of stupid of me..." Kivuli replied in hopes to end the argument. However, she still remained cautious of her surroundings.

At last, the friends arrived back at the apartment. Dinner lay on the table as Lapis cleaned the dishes she had used to make it. "Thanks for making dinner!" Kivuli exclaimed as she sat down."

"Yeah, thanks." Emerald added while taking a seat.

Lapis exited the kitchen and made her way to the table. "No problem, it's just something I threw together." She responded, a smile on her face.

"Hey guys, wanna go to the bar tonight? I hear it's closing soon due to the... incidents." Emerald suggested.

"That seems a bit... dangerous." Kivuli mumbled.

"Oh, you and your 'it's too dangerous'! Lighten up, would you?" Emerald snarled, visibly agitated. Lapis watched as they exchanged words.

"Sorry, I just think it's a bad idea..." Kivuli explained.

"Let's just bring the pepper spray." Emerald growled.

Finally, after getting annoyed enough by her roommates arguing, Lapis spoke. "Pepper spray won't solve all our problems, but sure, let's just go.

"Okay, I guess..." Kivuli agreed.

"Ugh, finally!" Emerald sighed.