43. Ling Xiao Baptism

Since some people in the military couldn't be trusted, he was just not going to test them; he didn't have the time or the energy for that. But once this mission was complete, he was going to clean up all the parasites lurking in the headquarters.

While the others helped Lin Zhou set up his temporary workstation, Ling Xiao sent a message to Emelia, informing her of the change of address as well as the room number. All he had to do now was wait for her to show up. He was honestly quite curious about the things she wanted to show him; he wanted to find out what kind of magical object could increase his strength in just a matter of an hour. Even the transformation caused by the awakening of abilities took way longer.

"There is an ambush on that route!" Lin Zhou suddenly exclaimed

Even though he was quite sure it was going to be there, he was just hoping that since this is technically a different world and timeline, some things would not be there, but it seems he was wrong; not much changed from the original.

Standing up from the couch and heading towards the table, he released a heavy sigh. The other three gathered around Lin Zhou to see what he was talking about, and they could see a group of people hiding around the road they were going to take using the satellite's thermal scanner. Objects such as guns and hand missiles could also be seen.

"How, how did this happen? Who wants to kill us this badly? They couldn't even wait until we left the city. " Su Chen asked. I mean, he knew that they had enemies and that quite a number of people considered them an eyesore, but this was just too much.

"How did they even know which way we were headed?" "We've barely just left the base; aren't they a little too arrogant to set up an ambush in such a big city and so close to the base?" Qin Yu was perplexed.

"Why would they be scared?" "It's not like they have anything to fear." Ling Xiao commented

"Boss, you mean..." Su Chen looked at Ling Xiao as he began

"Only the people in the army know the route that we had planned to take, or could guess it since it is the main route to the aviation centre, so this is obviously because someone in there prepared this surprise for us. And since they decided to set up this ambush so near the base, they had to have known that there would be no trouble. Most probably, it would have taken the headquarters a very long time to send reinforcements if we had gotten trapped in that ambush. Probably even the police would have been told not to come; after all, military business is not something for them to get involved in." Ling Xiao responded.

"Then, when I find out who's trying to kill us, I'll kill them." Xiao Yuchen

"Okay, don't get too excited; we'll deal with this when we get back." As of right now, what we need to do is get another route and another helicopter. "Who knows if the one there has been tampered with?" Lin Zhou said.

"There's no need to get another helicopter. I have already arranged that, but we will need to drive out of the city first. Just take a break. For now, we will depart at 3:00. As for those men, let them wait and simmer outside. No matter how arrogant the person who set this up is, he can't be so unscrupulous that he will attack us in broad daylight. The number of civilians will be too great. No one will take that risk. We will use the traffic as cover." Ling Xiao said, heading back to the couch and taking a seat.

"Yes sir"

Just then Emelia's message came through, informing him of her arrival, and Ling Xiao quickly excused himself. "I'll be back in an hour or two. Be ready to depart when I come back, so don't go running around," he said, immediately leaving the room after saying that.

The others just looked at him and then at each other before shrugging their shoulders and turning back to the screen. They all still couldn't accept the fact that there was a traitor in the base.