«Chapter 20: Hel»

As they rode deeper and deeper into the woods of Asgard, the noise of the once harmonious birds had receded. The eerie silence could drive a person insane if they stayed too long. The only sounds that reached Sigyn's ear was the trotting of the horses and her own heartbeat. The latter's pace speeding up as the light from the sun had faded away. She watched as Loki and her father led them through the pathless forest. Not a single soul knowing where they were going except for the God of Mischief himself.

The darkness was too much for the Asgardian. Too much for all the Asgardians. So the copper haired girl formed a single ball of golden light in her palm. It's soft glow was just enough for the girl to clearly see the path before her.

"Daughter," her father finally spoke. "Spread the light,"

She nodded her head and sent her ball of light drifting towards the front of the line. The young prince smiled knowingly at it and conjured his own green light. One by one, their balls of light illuminated the once black forest. Showing it's true beauty to the curious Asgardians. It seemed less scary now. The light brought a sense of serenity and calmness. Sigyn smiled to herself as her dark brown eyes searched the forest for a sign of life. Nothing. Not a single soul.

She brushed her furry companion's soft hair for comfort. Fenrir looked up at his friend gave her hand a small lick. The horses before them came to a halt as they stood before thick vines covering what seemed to be a cave entrance.

"Move the vines," Iwaldi commanded.

Soldiers from the back jumped off their steads and set to work. They grabbed hold of the verdant vines and pulled them away to uncover a large cave with Elder Runes carved at the top.

ᛒᛖᚹᚨᚱᛖ ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚨᛚᛚᛖᛇ ᛟᚠ ᛏᚺᛖ ᛞᛖᚨᛞ

"What does it say?" spoke a young soldier.

"It's Elder Runes, roughly translating to Beware-" spoke Loki.

"The Valley of the Dead," finished Sigyn.

"At least we ended up in the right area," spoke Tyr.

"Thank you for your service Odinson," Iwaldi said giving him a curt nod.

He nodded back and backed his horse away. He made a beeline for Sigyn's side and took a deep breath out.

"I thought he was going to end my life sooner or later," he whispered.

She let out a chuckle and said, "If he wanted to, he would have down it where no one could hear you scream,"

He rolled his eyes before replying, "How comforting,"

She smirked at the god beside her before returning her focus back to her father.

"Asgardians! We are now entering the realm of Hel, a place where if we are not careful. We could be stuck for eternity," the eerie silence returned, "but I'd like to take this moment to thank you my friends. For risking your lives to help my beloved wife. Even Mimir wouldn't be able to find the words to describe how grateful I am. Tonight we return victorious! Forward!" he yelled.

The group cheered in reply and followed Iwaldi at a quick pace through the darkness of the caves.

Sigyn and Loki's balls of light disappeared as they sped into the cold cavern. They rode faster and faster until sparks were created on the walls. The colours of the Bifrost flickered on the sides. Brighter and brighter as they rode faster and faster. The flickering lights became clearer until a bright flash blinded their eyes.

As they recentered their focus they had realised they were not on Asgard anymore.

They were in Hel.

Sigyn POV

After adjusting to the change of light, the group and I got of our steads and trudged through the murky waters. We had arrived in a grey, barren land filled with high cliffs and ancient ruins. We were currently standing in amidst a pool of dark water and around us were tall mountains of rock. Straight ahead I could see 4 broken down wyvern statues almost inviting us to come forward. Fenrir and Loki were at my side as we examined the stone around us.

"Where are we?" a soldier spoke softly.

"About a rast (Viking measurement 11km) away from the Gates of Hel," Frey replied.

"I thought we were already in Hel," Thor spoke softly.

"We are in the border Son, where Niflheim meets Hel," spoke father.

The silence here wasn't eerie but dry. Like there was something meant to happen but all of it had just disappeared. The water was up to my knees as I continued walking through the water.

"Loki?"

"Yes love?"

"Look at the rock,"

He turned his head to see what I was gesturing at.

"What about it?"

"It's wet, that means the water level has a capability to rise,"

"That's impossible," spoke Baldur with a pale face.

"Why would that be good Baldur?" asked Volstagg.

"Because this is but a lake. There is no possible way for the waters to rise,"

Everyone froze. I knew that something else had been here. Or someone.

"I'm sure it is-" Fandral started but was cut off by something pulling him down.