«Chapter 23: Empty»

TW: TORTURE, MENTIONS OF BLOOD

Darkness.

Darkness and nothing else.

Not a single word. Not a single sound.

Until a sharp sting landed on Sigyn's soft cheek.

"Uh!" she moaned in pain.

"Wake up wretch!" Lorelei yelled dusting her hands off.

Sigyn could finally open her eyes. Although all was blurry, she could make out a few things. One, her hands and legs were chained to the floor, and she wore a mouth guard. Two, Lorelei stood in front of her in a flowy green dress smiling wickedly. Last.

Her mother was bound to a boulder in front of her with a serpent above her head. Its black scales reflecting the light of the acid as it stared her down with its malevolent yellow eyes.

Sigyn's screams were muffled by the guard covering her mouth. Ingrid was deathly pale, the only splash of colour being her blood dripped from her forehead and various cuts on her chocolate skin.

She looked at her daughter with red eyes. Not filled with hope. But relief.

"Let's see if you can save poor mummy," Lorelei seethed.

Terror flooded Sigyn's face as she stared at her sister. No remorse. No pity. She started thrashing against her chains when Lorelei walked up to the boulder and whispered something into Ingrid's ears.

Her mother paled.

"Sigyn!" was the last thing she screamed before the mouth of the serpent above her released a single drop of acid onto her mother's face.

Her body arched as she screamed in pain. Twisting and squirming in her shackles. The acid burned her flesh and her eyesight become blurry. Ingrid's face was burning hot and the snake moved its position.

Sigyn screamed, cried out for her. But all her attempts to alert someone had failed.

Lorelei took off her mouth guard and spoke, "Gone on, scream. Let your voice be hoarse. No one is coming. There's nothing you can do,"

And she did. Another drop fell onto her mother but this time on her stomach. Ingrid writhed in pain as Sigyn's scream shook the cave. But no one came.

Drop after drop, it burnt her face. Acid eating her flesh as she her screams becoming quieter and quieter.

Sigyn couldn't do it. Couldn't take it. Couldn't see her mother like this. Dying before her with no ability to help. She looked down at her useless legs.

"No," she whimpered her voice hoarse from screaming. "Ah!"

Sigyn let out a screech as Lorelei yanked her head back up.

"Watch. Watch her you stupid scamp. Watch how you let her come into this position. Watch how you lost your guard. Watch the person who trusted you most...die,"

Ingrid's body shook violently and Sigyn couldn't bare looking at her any longer.

"Please...please," she sobbed.

Sigyn thrashed against Lorelei's grip, screaming and crying at once.

"Please what? End it? Give poor mummy sweet relief," her sister mocked.

Unbeknownst to Sigyn, Lorelei pulled out a slim dagger from the pocket in her dress. She walked to her mother at a slow pace and commanded the snake to cease it's torture.

Her mother wailed in pain and did her best to utter her youngest daughter's name.

"S-sigyn,"

The girl looked up and caught her mother's eye. She wished she hadn't. Her entire face was burnt, and her red flesh could be seen. The acid kept on eating and eating as Sigyn tried to move her chains once more.