Chapter 35

Adrien couldn't move...

It was like he got paralyzed. He knew that if he walked out at this moment then he will get what he wants, to get her away from him for her own sake.

But he just... couldn't.

He felt Marinette slowly slipping her hands from his side and wrapping them around his waist from behind and resting her head on his back.

There was silence for a few minutes as they stood in their spots.

Suddenly, Marinette spoke "You always do this... walk out the moment things become difficult"

"I don't" Adrien said, knowing very well he was lying.

"You do. When you were at my office and I asked you questions, you walked away because you didn't know how to answer or when we first time went to the orphanage together and was wrongly accused of things by me, you didn't stay at home because you didn't know how to handle the situation, even now you are doing it" Came Marinette's voice from behind him.

Silence fell again as Adrien had nothing else to say in his defense.

After some time Marinette moved in front of him and saw his gaze cast on the floor. Not daring to look at her.

She gently cupped his cheek, turning his gaze towards her, and locked their eyes.

Even in so much pain, he saw her give him a small smile and looking all over his face as if admiring him "I have never wanted to slap someone so badly yet also kiss them to comfort them"

"I think you should go for the first one" He commented.

On his comment, she shook her head and replied "yeah, maybe I should"

She continued "I know why are you trying to push me away right now and I am telling you beforehand, it won't work. I mean what would have happened if you would have walked out... I would have cried myself to go to sleep and the next day, we would have seen each other's faces and me trying to talk to you and you avoiding me till the wedding would have gotten over.

And after that, you would have found me accompanying you to meet your mother because I had promised her. Might have playfully complained to her about you a little so that you get scolded and I would have continued to follow you around until you would have given in. Tell me if I am wrong"

Adrien closed his eyes while letting out a sigh and touched his forehead with hers, giving her the answer without words.

She makes him weak... in every way. In his entire life whenever he has seriously made a promise to himself, he had kept it, no matter what. But oh boy, she makes him break those promises within minutes.

When he got into this job and he knew how his reputation is going to be to everyone, so he promised himself that he would let anyone get to because of what others thought of him, he knows who he is and what he is capable of. And after years of keeping this promise, he finally broke it when Marinette judged him at the orphanage.

He promised himself that he would not let anyone enter his life until he was in this job and until his mother was completely treated and safely back home. But he broke it as well the day he met her and has wanted her since then, every day.

And now he broke the promise that he just made minutes ago. But he kind of knew already that he would become a puddle for her if she got to him... and she did.

Raising on her tippy toes, she gave him a small chaste kiss and said "please Adrien... tell me what bothers you? What hurts you? I am right here and I will... never... ever leave you. You don't have to be afraid"